wholesale cooked meat price questions

ON THE FARM

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
ok, so I cooked 3 briskets, 4 racks of ribs and 2 butts for a 4th of July party. come to find out 1 of the guests is a guy getting ready to open a restaurant close to my house.
He was unable to give me too many details due to others at the party but told me he would like to buy cooked brisket, spare ribs and pulled pork for his menu on Friday and Saturday.
So that means he will be buying wholesale from me?
No details as of yet but when I go and meet with him I would like to have a ballpark of what to charge?
Would it depend on what I can buy the meat for?
On the brisket, would it be to my advantage to cook just flats, that is the only part from the whole packer I sliced.
On the ribs I would do whole spares.
And the pork but is just pulled, by him.
This could turn into something big for me, and this guy is very excited about it.

So that means he will be buying wholesale from me?
No details as of yet but when I go and meet with him I would like to have a ballpark of what to charge?
Would it depend on what I can buy the meat for?
On the brisket, would it be to my advantage to cook just flats, that is the only part from the whole packer I sliced.
On the ribs I would do whole spares.
And the pork but is just pulled, by him.
This could turn into something big for me, and this guy is very excited about it.

aside from your actual meat cost, you need to carefully factor in all other expenses are (fuel, rubs and most importantly... you're time (to shop, set-up,cook, store, transport etc..& acceptable profit for it). That # then needs to be something that he can still sell at a market acceptable price to his customers.

Also..not sure what the laws are but be sure to consider any insurance coverage, health permits, license etc.

You'll need an approved kitchen, resale license and ins. You'll be responsible if anyone gets sick.

I think any discussion of pricing is premature at this point. You need to find out what the going retail price is in your area for BBQ and work back from there. You are essentially his BBQ chef on the weekends and any other catering jobs you might get will be put on the back burner to handle this. You can be his employee or you can be independent and both have advantages and drawbacks. The pricing is the last item to be concerned with because depending on what all the details are the price will vary a lot. Details first then price. My opinion is that he will be making more than you and you will be doing all the work.

Better plan on cooking sn-site so you can use his kitchen otherwise you'll need all kinds of licenses especially from the HD.

Don't worry about price until you understand exactly what he wants. Sweat out the details before quoting any price.

THanks guys, i am lookin into the HD part of it this week. I have my food handlers card, and useing his kitchen would be a plus (he did said something about prep in his place). How would i go about checking the local price of smoked meats? Call a local bbq joint, caterer or who? I am starting a list of questions to ask before i talk about money. i guess i never thought about ALL of the things i need to factor in to the final price like rub, fuel and mostly my time! thanks again!!

i would also suggest cooking on site for the safty reasons but i would also wonder about him watching and learning your tricks and then cutting you out. i wonder if you could work out some kind of partnership or a no compete clause to protect yourself from getting cut out.

THanks guys, i am lookin into the HD part of it this week. I have my food handlers card, and useing his kitchen would be a plus (he did said something about prep in his place). How would i go about checking the local price of smoked meats? Call a local bbq joint, caterer or who? I am starting a list of questions to ask before i talk about money. i guess i never thought about ALL of the things i need to factor in to the final price like rub, fuel and mostly my time! thanks again!!

You have to figure in everything, start by calling caterers in your area, bbq joints etc..even surrounding areas if folks will drive to get it. You need to know what your competition is charging to see if it's even a money maker for you.

If you just cook the meat then everything is under his license and his HD setup. He pays you a fee to cook but he buys the meat. If you buy the meat and sell it to him to sell then that's resale and technically you can't do it without a USDA approved kitchen and with all the appropriate labeling. I know lots do this but it is far better to just cook it for him on-site.

So now it's a question of what your time and supplies (rub, fuel, etc) are worth. $10 per hour, $20 per hour. Remember cooking on his site means always being there to make sure nobody tampers with the meat.

If you just cook the meat then everything is under his license and his HD setup. He pays you a fee to cook but he buys the meat. If you buy the meat and sell it to him to sell then that's resale and technically you can't do it without a USDA approved kitchen and with all the appropriate labeling. I know lots do this but it is far better to just cook it for him on-site.

So now it's a question of what your time and supplies (rub, fuel, etc) are worth. $10 per hour, $20 per hour. Remember cooking on his site means always being there to make sure nobody tampers with the meat.

This is what I was thinking. Have him supply everything and charge a fee for cooking.

This is what I was thinking. Have him supply everything and charge a fee for cooking.

This may work out in ways you haven't thought of yet. Consider cooking for him and using his kitchen for all the catering you do. ALSO, give him a break in pricing if he identifies the BBQ as yours. Example, on the menu have the ribs, etc. called "Your name" ribs. This is done at some restaurants when they identify the ribs as "Jack Daniel's" ribs etc. This will help your catering business.

Back