Anyone wet age their briskets?

hornbri

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just read a article that said most competition cooks wet age their briskets for 30 - 60 days before competition in crovac. I had never heard of this, anyone here do it?

I'm not a fan of cross posting, but in this case it might help if you check the competition forum. Assuming they are willing to give up their secrets.

DRBBQ explained this so well at:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4128&highlight=certified

DF and I have not yet done the CAB MOD, but--
We aged 2 Sam's flats for 40 days at 35 degrees.
Cut them open for Mobile in early March.
Smell (and eventual taste) "too die for". Strong Beef flavor! KOOL :lol:

We are buying a case of CAB next week in Orlando and getting them into the FRIG to age.

World of difference, even on common brisket!

FWIW

TIM

I did this once on accident. Kind of forgot and kept putting off. The brisket from sams was cryovaced. I imagine I held it for 3 weeks, came out great, very tender, good flavor. Tried it again, tender, stinky, inedible. Been afraid to do it again.

well.. it's kind of a so-so mod.. all the research i've done on 'dry' and 'wet' aging indcates that the BEST 'aging' processes take place in properly controlled conditions before the meat is even carved off the entire SIDE of beef involved.. all the 'proper' aging i've heard about takes place with a whole side left at 40 degrees and about 20-40% humidity before it's carved.. theory being that the fat layers, membranes etc.. will let only the water through.. and prevent decay of the better parts while still allowing the dehydration of the meat needed to concentrate the flavor... it's really tough to do properly on already trimmed and sectioned pieces.. i tried it once on about 10 5lb tri-tips once.... wasnt *that* much of an improvement.

evilpsych said:
well.. it's kind of a so-so mod.. all the research i've done on 'dry' and 'wet' aging indcates that the BEST 'aging' processes take place in properly controlled conditions before the meat is even carved off the entire SIDE of beef involved.. all the 'proper' aging i've heard about takes place with a whole side left at 40 degrees and about 20-40% humidity before it's carved.. theory being that the fat layers, membranes etc.. will let only the water through.. and prevent decay of the better parts while still allowing the dehydration of the meat needed to concentrate the flavor... it's really tough to do properly on already trimmed and sectioned pieces.. i tried it once on about 10 5lb tri-tips once.... wasnt *that* much of an improvement.
Probably very true.
When you find a source for that sort of aged Brisket--let us know.
We will be first in line :lol:
In the mean time, I got a date with a distributer later this month for some CAB Brisket which is going in for wet aging.

Help us out with a better supplier! :wink:

TIM

When I used to raise beef (yeah, back when Wyatt was sheriff!) we had a local butcher/processor/locker that would age the sides or quarters. Ours usually went about 14-21 days.

You could cut the round steak with a fork. Of course my animals were grain fed for about 7 months before butcherin, too. :D

Wet aging works well as long as cryo-vac is intact and you keep the temp in frig low enought (needs to be a refrig that is not opened much).

Back