The 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (Model 711001) appears official

Was reading this on another site. Apparently it's available overseas.

The smart thing to do would be pricing it close enough to a Brinkmann, while keeping it profitable, to allow someone, who otherwise might get the ECB due to price alone, to reconsider...

isuma tamale pot 20 bucks WSJ 39 bucks :rolleyes:

Exactly. Plus, I'm sure this particular mod and how popular it's become was at least a factor in Weber's decision in marketing the 14.5 again. Price it too high and the folks that might have purchased for convenience's sake will wind up either building the Tamale Joe or giving up entirely.

It appears quite interesting that the 14.5" doesn't have a heat deflector, but includes a grease tray and a grommet between the two cooking grates. (click on view all at the schematic page)

The schematic doesn't specify that the grommet is only for the 14.5", just the WSM, so maybe they will be adding that to all sizes. Another site has a dealer promo picture that also shows this grommet on the 14.5".

I believe the "grease tray" is basically an internal heat deflector. Should serve the same purpose, a double wall between the heat and the outside of the smoker. Plus it'll give a gleaner look.
I'm also under the impression that the grommet is being included in all the WSM models.
As for the usefulness of the 14.5" model? HELL YEAH! I plan on getting one unless the price is ridiculous. I'm hoping for a $199 msrp and a real world street price of $149. The 18.5" can be had pretty regularly at $249, and $349 for the 22.5", so here's hoping.

Cute but what could be put onto it?

The 18 barely fits a rack of ribs

Cute but what could be put onto it?

The 18 barely fits a rack of ribs
A rack of ribs is problematic because the shape. But if you hang them ala PBC you can fit plenty.

I have a mini-WSM (SJG + IMUSA pot) and it is my most versatile cooker. It can hold an 8 pound chicken or decent size ham or butt. I've done briskets by cutting them in half and putting a piece on each grate. With the water pan out it is ideal for grilling on the top grate. Flare ups are much less a problem because the coals are far away from the food. It's awesome and when the new 14.5 comes out, I WANT ONE!

But yeah... I'm Weber crazy. :laugh: :wacko: :twitch: :tongue:

I'm wondering about coal capacity? Sure you could fit 2 butts on it but would you have to reload mid cook? My 18.5 can maintain approximately 250*F 16 hours with an outdoor temp of 65 +. That's using about 12 lbs of KBB.

Back