MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Big bob gibsons championship pork shoulder- with or without the sop mop?

The recipe (from Chris Lilly's book with the championship pork injection) calls for a mop to be applied every hour for the last few hours. Has anyone done it both ways, or are there any suggestions?

Also, I might just do a picnic or butt instead of the whole shoulder. Not sure yet.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 04-25-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Wampus

GENERALLY, I find mops, spritzes or basting on pork butts to be a waste of time.

HOWEVER.....if that's Chris's recipe and he IS a world champion pork cook.....how can you argue with him?

I still say the only thing mopping's going to do for you is enhance the bark flavor (which may be enough for the effort) and isn't going to really enhance the flavor of the meat itself.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Does that mean follow the directions, or don't mop b/c it will dry it out?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
you aint gonna dry out a pork butt
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I am not a fan of Chris Lilly's "Mop" recipie - if you feel the need to add moisture I would just spray a mix of apple juice and apple cider vin.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
ErikH
Knows what a fatty is.

I used it last week; first time I ever mopped a pork butt. To be honest, I didn't really notice much difference. The bark may have had a bit more flavor, but I wouldn't be surprised if my cook time was longer as a result of opening up the smoker once an hour at the end of the cook. I did like the mop sauce on my pork sandwich, though.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
I am not a fan of Chris Lilly's "Mop" recipie - if you feel the need to add moisture I would just spray a mix of apple juice and apple cider vin.
Is that the vinegar, cayenne, salt and touch of lemon stuff? Heck I make that by the half gallon at a time if so. I use it as a "sauce" on pulled pork, and as a marinade base too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
There is no need to Mop, Spritz, Spray or molest any meat. Just like Adding Apple juice or a stock to make it juicy and moist during a cook It adds nothing and extends the cooking time from heat loss. Keep the pit closed and let the magic happen There is a great use for that book hang it in the out house,use it to light the pit, fix an rocking table.

If you keep the pit closed it will keep the moisture in the pit every time you open it it changes the micro climate in the pit. To illustrate what I mean place a Pan of water in the oven on low heat What happens when you open the oven once the water warms up? ...Steam escapes and the temp will drop.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Is that the vinegar, cayenne, salt and touch of lemon stuff? Heck I make that by the half gallon at a time if so. I use it as a "sauce" on pulled pork, and as a marinade base too

Yeah thats what it is ... just not a fan of it. Now that Shack Attack stuff - I can down that by the gallon! Now cut that stuff with some oil and mop your heart out.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
Yeah thats what it is ... just not a fan of it. Now that Shack Attack stuff - I can down that by the gallon! Now cut that stuff with some oil and mop your heart out.
It's what the restaurant has always served for their pulled pork so I literally grew up with it. I can see it being an aquired taste. Gotta try the Shack Attack recipe though.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

The last time we ate a Bob Gibson's the waitress had to bring it to our table - she said that people steal it off the table.

Looking at you ID remided me I have to run up to Memphis Saturday and pick up charcoal and other supplies.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Chris Lilly is a proven force in BBQ with a many year track record of major competition wins and excellence in the restaurant industry.
He is not an anonymous poster on the WWW with no public history to back up their claims.

I personally do not do pork the way he recommends, but I would never be arrogant enough to insult him or his writings.

May I suggest you just try it, if you are so inclined?
Only you can decide if you like the results or not.

Pork is cheap--WWW opinions are worth what you pay for them.

TIM

Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Chris Lilly is a proven force in BBQ with a many year track record of major competition wins and excellence in the restaurant industry.
He is not an anonymous poster on the WWW with no public history to back up their claims.

I personally do not do pork the way he recommends, but I would never be arrogant enough to insult him or his writings.

TIM

I've been lucky enough to have had his ribs once at MIM. He IS as good as his rep. Super nice fellow too.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

TIM

I certainly did not mean to insult Chris Lilly or anyone else – I just don’t care for the vinegar sauce / baste – too much vinegar for my taste. I own his book, have tried his recipes and we eat in the restaurant every time we pass through Decatur. I am a big fan of Chris Lilly’s aside from being an anonymous poster with no public history to back up my claims.
I even pointed out that we had to ask for the Mop sauce last time we ate there because people have stolen it from the table in the restaurant. That was meant as a compliment.
Being arrogant was not my intention.