MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoker/ Cooker Research

Having read several topics here about smoking, I realize many here are into charcoal. I'm hoping there may be some information about propane smokers. Is there anyone here with experience with the Masterbuilt GS40 propane smoker.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Gas... Sha! you're from Church Point. Build one of these:
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

The only benefit that I personally see using the gas smoker is for convenience. Maybe if you own a restaurant or cater.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Propane releases moisture as it burns, as a result it is very difficult to get a solid bark with propane. Other than that it will work just fine and is easy to control. Personally I wouldn't want one but if it works for you then have at it.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

Hi YAKDUNG. Those purty out-houses that they converted to smoke houses look really nice. Heaven knows I have plenty of room, but I just don't have the need for such a large unit.... nice video. The wife and I (as motorcyclist) have ridden to Cookville, TN several times....

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm not thinking great bark, so much as great taste and flavor, along with ease of cooking the long cooks. I also have my eye on the WSM 22.5 (charcoal). Very much undecided at this point...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I would definitely go with the WSM, I used to cook on a gas grill until I discovered lump and Stubbs. Can't beat the flavor from lump or real wood.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Hi YAKDUNG. Those purty out-houses that they converted to smoke houses look really nice. Heaven knows I have plenty of room, but I just don't have the need for such a large unit.... nice video. The wife and I (as motorcyclist) have ridden to Cookville, TN several times....

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm not thinking great bark, so much as great taste and flavor, along with ease of cooking the long cooks. I also have my eye on the WSM 22.5 (charcoal). Very much undecided at this point...
Wilson, I would go with a WSM 22 and a BBQ Guru type controller. It will let you smoke large cuts like Butts and Briskets while you get your beauty rest.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I started out with a vertical propane smoker similar to that one. It was a decent smoker to get my feet wet with, but I found once I got more involved in smoking I couldn't wait to get a charcoal cooker. Not to mention those propane types aren't as set and forget as one would hope. You still have to fill them with wood chips or chunks periodically. My advice would be to save your time and money and just get the WSM from the jump. If price is an object then build a UDS. I have an XL egg but I'm building a UDS anyway. A man can never have too many cookers and they just look like a lot of fun.

Whatever you decide, the most important thing is to hang out around here, it would take an enormous collection of books to get the same amount of knowledge you can find here for free. If you have a question, ask away, the folks here are more than happy to oblige.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
cb4004
Knows what a fatty is.

This wouldn't be the same Boudreaux that runs at the Voodoo Pond in La Place?

cb4004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

...NO.... that other Boudreaux is some 100 miles to the east.....

Thanks again to all for great info....

Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I purchased the 22" WSM a few months ago and couldn't be happier.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Propane releases moisture as it burns, as a result it is very difficult to get a solid bark with propane. Other than that it will work just fine and is easy to control. Personally I wouldn't want one but if it works for you then have at it.
Don't forget that wood and charcoal do too. The only dry heat source around bbq is electric.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

I posted this in the competition section for comparing smokers if it helps.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...27#post2316627

Also, when the first smoker I bought was a Cookshack Smokette. I didn't know how to control a fire, but I loved the end results. It is a set it and forget it type of cooker. I have nothing against Cookshack whatsoever and would recommend it to anyone out there. However on the budget side of things, I had a friend purchase an identical cooker to mine called Smokin'-It. It really is just like mine, but 1/3 of the price and unfortunately it is not made in the US like Cookshack is (Personal Preference). The pricing on these is way cheaper than Cookshack, Masterbuilt, and Smokin Tex. Just an option if you want good BBQ come easy.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

Gee Dan, that was a great link.... You went through a lot of work on that one.

Looks like Under $900.... my only choice is Weber. Now.... do I do 18.5 or 22.5. Decisions, decisions....!!!! Thanks....

Thanks to all for the info......

Hi Eddieh70301,
Have you had your first Crawfish Ettouffee of the season yet.....

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default hiow about this dubble door one from Lowes?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=130059
shows one mod I did to it (sealing the doors..)

been using it now for some years and love it.. !!