MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
SmokinJon
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Offset vs. Reverse Offset Smokers…

I am a relative newbie to this forum so please help me out. I am looking at various offset and reverse flow offset smokers including Lang, Meadow Creek, Jambo...

I am particularly interested in what different manufacturers do to control airflow and hot spots. I have heard Lang sometimes puts and additional partial plate / baffle above the firebox to help dissipate excessive heat there. Can any Lang owners confirm this and whether this is standard or an option. I am particularly interested in the 60 and 84 models.

For both types of smokers, does the vent / smoke stack typically vent from the top of the cooking chamber or does it vent from somewhere just above the cooking surface (say 3-6-inches)? I have been looking at various vendors but I cannot find a good picture of the inside of the cooking chamber.

From the what I can see it looks like the smoke stack on a regular offset typically vents from just above or to the side of the cooking surface / grate, whereas on a reverse flow offset it looks like the smokestack vents from the top of the cooking chamber; although without seeing the inside this is impossible to confirm.

It seems to me that the higher the smoke stack opening inside the cooking chamber the better the draft but the more fuel it would consume. Is this something which is implemented differently on a regular offset vs. a reverse flow offset?

As usual, I look forward to ALL your feedback!

Last edited by SmokinJon; 04-01-2012 at 02:38 PM..
SmokinJon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

Check out http://www.peoriacookers.com . I am probably going to get the backyard 48 in a week or two. They have a nice detailed slide show on their site.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

The RF's are designed to have a more even temp across your cooking area. If you get an offset you can get it with tuning plates which will even your temps across the cooking area just like an RF but will allow you to adjust them to create hot spots if you want them. On the smokestacks, I know Jambos vent out around grate level. Check out Ritch with Gator Pits....I think his quality and attention to detail is second to none!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Here's a few recent threads on that subject;

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=reverse

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
SmokinJon
Knows what a fatty is.

BBQ Bandit thank you for your great feedback. It is all great stuff, however, unless I am missing something I do not see anything which references my questions. I know you are a bit of a Lang expert so can you please confirm:

The location of the vent / smokestack on the inside and whether there is a second partial plate. Some pics would be great!

Thanks again, Jon.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
SmokinJon
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy48 View Post
Check out http://www.peoriacookers.com . I am probably going to get the backyard 48 in a week or two. They have a nice detailed slide show on their site.
Thank you that covers exactly what I need to know for these guys, does anyone know where there is anything like this for the other vendors?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJon View Post
BBQ Bandit thank you for your great feedback. It is all great stuff, however, unless I am missing something I do not see anything which references my questions. I know you are a bit of a Lang expert so can you please confirm:

The location of the vent / smokestack on the inside and whether there is a second partial plate. Some pics would be great!

Thanks again, Jon.

The cooking grates sit on the baffle which runs full depth (front to back); starting directly above the firebox opening running (right to left) approx 95% full width which then allows the smoke to rise than 'reverse flows' in a left to right direction above the grates and the meats. The smoke stack is a top mounted location which does not drop below the upper surface of the chamber.

The cross section of the baffle is a wide and shallow "V" shape and with a built-in slope... allowing grease to channel and funnel to an outside drain below.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 04-01-2012 at 09:31 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

I battled this question for over a year.....the cost of meadow creek and Lang's no response to many emails and phone calls for pics of their new hybrids help make my decision. Then talking to (Ritch)Gator and (Dave all knowing) Klose made up my mind for me. The traditional offset will allow me to do poultry (hotter heat for crisp skin) close to the firebox and ribs (225) on the other end simultaneously. Plus if I ever want to do a small pig or something where I WANT even temps across the cooking area then tuning plates are available. For the money though Lang has the most cooker for the money but I made my decision based on how I WILL cook when I get my cooker. Everybody cooks their own way, but these guys on here ESPECIALLY BBQ BANDIT will give you so much help....good luck buddy....been in your shoes....me...I'm just watching for the right Klose or Gator ......

Thanks from:--->