Venison Shoulder, Chipotle Pork and Pintos

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had a house full of hunters for the last 5 days. This is one of the meals I fixed this weekend.

I soaked a leg of venison in salt water overnight, then made slits in it and inserted cloves of garlic. Then topped with Dale's marinade and sprinkled with cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes.

101_7858-1.jpg

101_7860-1.jpg

I injected a hunk of pork with a mixture of beef broth, cayenne, onion powder and cholula hot sauce.

101_7863-1.jpg

Covered the outside with chopped chipotle peppers and lots of adobo sauce, then sprinkled with black pepper...

101_7869-1.jpg

Soaked a pot of pintos overnight, then added them to the smoker in a colander for 2 hours...
After smoking them in the colander, I put them in a pot with water, onion, garlic, smoked ham, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, basil and black pepper..

005-2-3.jpg

I used my cinderblock pit........ put beer and homemade seasonings into a couple of drip pans...

101_7873-1.jpg

101_7884-1.jpg

021-1-2.jpg

I covered the leg of venison with beef broth and let it sit for 30 minutes...then carved it off the bone...

053-1.jpg

022-2.jpg

055-2.jpg

I heated some tortillas on the pit and everyone made their own...

Here's mine with the works.....some venison, cheese, lettuce, hot salsa, pintos and pork.

060-2.jpg

It was an easy, tasty meal.... :)

And you said my grub shots made you hungry. That spread should be in Food Everyone Needs to Eat magazine. Nice job Cowgirl.

i'm not sure what they were hunting, but i think they may have found it! 8)

I take it you ate the tortilla with a fork.:biggrin:
Very nice looking tasting sounding food.

As always everything looks Fantastic!! Never thought to smoke beans gonna have to try that it sounds great

WOW!!!! Looks great cowgirl! I bet your hunting buddies were VERY happy!!! I'm envious!

cowgirl, looks like a great venison recipe there. Gracias!

That is an amazing looking spread, Cowgirl. How on earth, does anyone get any hunting done, knowing that food like that is being made. You always bring it to the next level.

Cowgirl, everything you do looks great! I'm not too far from Oklahoma, and I'm tempted to drive your way and beg for leftovers! I'm curious, are you saying you smoked the dried pintos before you added them to the water for the long simmer? Thanks
Paperboy98

Thank you folks, I appreciate it!
Paulie, your food always makes me hungry!!:cool:
Rick....you're still a sweetheart. :wink:
Thank you Bowhnter, Scott and Smokey!

Bubba, you have to get here early, I only have 2 spare bedrooms...but lotsa floor space. :wink:

Cheez... I tried folding mine....still couldn't eat it all. :redface:

064-1-1.jpg

Thank you Mike, frognot, DaChief, Max and bigabyte, I do apprecate your kind words. :wink:

Paperboy, I'm not all that far from you. :)
I soaked the pintos in water overnight, then smoked them in the colander for 2 hours....Put them in a cast iron pot and added my water, garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, black pepper, thyme, oregano, smoked ham and a bit of basil. Simmered them til almost tender....then put them back on the cinderblock pit until they were nice and tender.
I add kosher salt after they are tender.

I got the colander smoke method from a contact through my blog...
It worked out great and I'll be doing them again this way.

002-2.jpg

014-3-1.jpg

Thanks again folks. :wink:

I'd like to learn more!

JimT

Jim, it's my cinderblock pit... I mainly use it for whole hogs, but it comes in handy for large meals too.
It's not pretty....but puts out some good food at times.

cookout6-07andsaltplains146-copy.jpg

Jim, it's my cinderblock pit... I mainly use it for whole hogs, but it comes in handy for large meals too.
It's not pretty....but puts out some good food at times.

cookout6-07andsaltplains146-copy.jpg

Very cool!!!! Is that white dot one of those butter ball turkey buttons that pop up when the meat is done?:mrgreen:

Thanks Cowgirl. And thanks for the PM!!

I can see one of those being "built" for a weeklong gathering I have with some friends.

JimT

Back