WSM help/advice

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren, I’m looking for some help on how much food (mainly full rack of ribs) you can get on a 22.5” WSM. I currently have two 22.5” kettles and a large Grill Dome (BGE knockoff), they cook fantastic but I have trouble cooking large quantities of full slabs. I need a cooker that is transportable, a drum is not possible (homeowners association), and I thought a WSM would fit the bill. On a good weekend, with friends out to the house I will typically do a couple butts, 6 racks of spares and some chicken, it would be awesome if I could do it all on one cooker. Any input/advice/personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The 22.5 WSM has 2 22.5" grill grates. I can lay 3 racks of ribs flat on one grill grate. The grates are as big as your kettle grates. But, yes, you can do a couple of butts and 6 racks of ribs and some chicken, if you use something to stand the ribs up. Although, I would probably do the chicken in my BGE, and everything else in my WSM. I cook my chickens a little hotter than I do my ribs and butts.

I can get 6 racks of spares on one grate of an 18.5" WSM, and 2 - 3 butts on the other.
I would see no problem with getting what you're thinking on a 22.5" WSM. Keep in mind you can roll the ribs too.

Guys thanks for the input. Jason I agree with your chicken comment,
I typically do them on one of the kettles. Is there enough room between the grates to use a standing rib rack on each? Also do both grates cook at about the same temperature? Thanks again.

Is there enough room between the grates to use a standing rib rack on each? Also do both grates cook at about the same temperature? Thanks again.
Yep, there will be room between grates for a rib rack.
Depending on how you use the WSM, there may be a 20 degree or so difference between upper and lower grates.
If you use a water pan, the lower rack will be cooler. If you use a Piedmont pan, foil balls, clay saucer, or sand the difference will be less significant. My $.02 anyways. (I usually use water or foil balls.)

I have the same diff. between my grates as Clark with the clay pot mod..... But after a couple of hours the diff. is made up as the pot soaks up all that heat.....

Just curious, why does the homeowner's association get to say you can't have a drum? Are you going to be cooking out in front?

Thanks for the all the input, I really think the WSM is the cooker for me, it seems I can get 6 slabs and two butts on in the same cook.

As far as the HOA, if you live in a subdivision built after 1980 in Michigan they all have them, and they are out of control. We have neighbors suing each other, neighbors calling the city officials on each other, it’s really not a good situation, there are way too many people with no hobbies and nothing better to do. I had to physically force one of the board members of my property last summer when I caught her snooping around the back of my house, she claimed she had every right to be there and had received complaints about my smokers. Anyway it’s a really long story, and only commercially available products are allowed. Yes its BS and yes I want to move.

Yet another endorsement for the WSM 22" here.

I have done 2 briskets and 3 pork butts on mine at once. I have also done 12 racks of ribs at once. I'm sure you could do 6 racks of ribs and some chicken pieces on one rack, and then 2 butts and a few pieces of chicken on the other. You'll love it. Holds more volume than one might think, and the extra 4 inches in diameter on the 22 inchers is really worth a GREAT deal of space.

I have a 22 1/2" WSM and a rib rack I use when I need to put out higher quantities. My last larger cook, I had eight racks on the top rack (using the rib rack). If I can find a picture, I'll post it. I had six in the rack and two leaned up against it. On that same cook, I had several dozen (maybe 48) moinks on the bottom rack with 18 ABTs.

I really like the WSM. I've had it a year. It's very steady once you learn the fundamentals of fire control. It's also incredibly versatile. I hope you enjoy yours.

Thanks for the all the input, I really think the WSM is the cooker for me, it seems I can get 6 slabs and two butts on in the same cook.

As far as the HOA, if you live in a subdivision built after 1980 in Michigan they all have them, and they are out of control. We have neighbors suing each other, neighbors calling the city officials on each other, it’s really not a good situation, there are way too many people with no hobbies and nothing better to do. I had to physically force one of the board members of my property last summer when I caught her snooping around the back of my house, she claimed she had every right to be there and had received complaints about my smokers. Anyway it’s a really long story, and only commercially available products are allowed. Yes its BS and yes I want to move.

Well you will be happy with a WSM.

That really sucks though about them nosing into your business. Those are the kind of people that let communists come into power.

I think I am sold on the WSM, the only other question is, do you guys think it will transport well on a hitch platform? I will be transporting it between my primary and second home.

only commercially available products are allowed.

I am sure several of the Brethren would be happy to "sell" you one. :-D

And when the HOA police sqwak they will sell them one too.

Good luck!

HOA's are annoying. The woman came on your property? What nerve.

BTW- LOVE Rochester Hills. There was this great bar, on Roch Rd, I believe, that sits on the edge of a little river. It's down the road from Frank's Nursery. Loved to go there on Fridays. Used to date a girl that lived in the town.

BTCG, the bar you refer to is the Paint Creek Yacht Club, it’s my favorite dive bar in the area, a total diamond in rough amongst $9 martini joints.

BTCG, the bar you refer to is the Paint Creek Yacht Club, it’s my favorite dive bar in the area, a total diamond in rough amongst $9 martini joints.

Sounds right. Me and Carol (she worked for Oakland County) used to head up there (I lived in Milford at the time, and would spend weekends with her). Glad to hear it's still thriving, and you enjoy it. I haven't been in there since 1985. But used to go there a lot.

Jonesy the best way to solve the HOA problem is to let them sample what you are cooking. They will not think twice about bugging you if they know how good the product is coming off that WSM!

Jonesy the best way to solve the HOA problem is to let them sample what you are cooking. They will not think twice about bugging you if they know how good the product is coming off that WSM!

Problem with that is people like the HOA woman are just the type to say "no thank you" as you're standing at her door, holding a platter of your best food.

It's not about getting along, or even getting a platter of great food to them: it's all about power.

Jonesy did right schooing her off the property. Maybe, he should have made a police report, in the event of legal action.

The ironic thing is this. What is a HOA made up of? HOMEOWNERS!!! People who OWN property! Bottom line its your property! I would buy a Big Drum Smoker just to show them up.

I could understand if you had a Lang 108 Twin trailer rig in your front yard, but this is a small pit out of public view. I am totally on your side.

Back