• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Carolina style?

Also very thankful for the mustard base sauce. Been trying to find a good one that I can make myself at home so thanks again.

So, a quick summary. South Carolina = mustard based sauces. North Carolina East tends to ketchup base and West is vinegar based. Dang, I don't even want to ask about peaches....

South Carolina is where Peaches come from. Georgia claims to be the peach state but SC exports more peaches than GA could dream of.

Better yet heres the recipe for you:

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes

Thats the exact recipe I got off another forum and use.. I like it alot

I'm a little confused. OP mentioned bbq but then said something about ribs. :p

In NC when someone says bbq, its pork (whether whole hog, chopped or pulled).

I was stationed in North Carolina (near the banks) in the infancy of my BBQ appreciation life. ....Over 20yrs ago...yikes....

While there I enjoyed much of what crossed my plate. I understand that there is a distinct difference between eastern and western Carolina style BBQ. What are the key differences and can someone point me toward some representative rub & sauce recipes? I'd like to add this to my tool kit.

South Carolina has the best BBQ in the world. Sauce is vinegar and mustard based.

for NC style, do you guys put some of the vinegar-based sauce on the whole batch of pulled pork, or just let people put their own amount on?

South Carolina has the best BBQ in the world. Sauce is vinegar and mustard based.

I absolutely HATE mustard, but there are a few places that make a mustard base sause that I can eat. I would say I really love any of them, but I can eat them and that's saying a lot. :laugh:

In my experiences the sauce is added to the pork as it is chopped, either coarse or fine....
it was much later in my life before I ever heard about pulled pork...

for NC style, do you guys put some of the vinegar-based sauce on the whole batch of pulled pork, or just let people put their own amount on?

as N8man said, it's usually added as you chop. most of the time there's a bottle on the table if you want to add more.

In my experiences the sauce is added to the pork as it is chopped, either coarse or fine....
it was much later in my life before I ever heard about pulled pork...

Bill's BBQ, Parker's BBQ, Kings BBQ, Skylight Inn, B's BBQ, Wilber's BBQ. Just a few examples. All east of I-95 and all still chopped and sauced.

The way i know it to be is
eastern nc is vinegar base
western nc is ketchup base
and central ( i call it lexington style ) is a combo of both in the sauces

the mustard sc based i have only had once at maurices bbq and it was GOOOOOOOOD

Dang I'm late to to explaining my own state!!!

But here's how I explain it to people that ask me.

Start East with nearly all vinegar and a little red pepper as you head towards the west keep adding a little ketchup and sugar to the sauce and shrink the hog down to the shoulder halfway and the butt towards the end. Now, the chunks of pork oddly enough start fine with the whole hog and get bigger as you get towards the much smaller butts. And texas pete is served at most tables across the whole state.

Now slaw? That is a little harder to pinpoint but mayo, vinegar and red vinegar are all over the place.:razz:

That's right, Texas Pete is bottled in the piedmont, but it's actually an inter-faith "extra" that may be found on a table anywhere.

Back