recommend the definitive bread cookbook

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i'm looking for a real good bread cookbook so i can start making my own breads. i just can't handle even "deli fresh" bread from the local grocers.

thanks in advance!

Margaux Sky

Beautiful Breads & Fabulous Fillings

Her white bread recipe with have you never buying store bread again! But I have found that cutting her recipe in half and making 3 loaves out of that half yields the best sandwhich bread. Some of her recipes tend to yield very tall loaves. But once you mees around with them and figure out what works to get you the results you want, you'll never look back! The book is loaded with amazing bread and sandwhich recipes!!!

The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum:
The single best reference for baking bread, while not all the author's recipes, this author does the best job of teaching difficult baking concepts simply.

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhardt
Artisan Breads Everyday by Peter Reinhardt
Anything Peter Reinhardt does with bread is amazing, his books are standard reference works for most home and artisanl professional bakers. His breads are amazing.

The Il Fornaio Baking Book by Il Fornaio
If you want to learn about the Italian approach to making bread in America, this is the book to do it with. When these guys were a smaller company, they made some of the best bread you could find.

Beard on Bread. James Beard was the quintessential foodie, and there is prestigious award that bears his name. You can probably check it out from your local library to look over before you plunk down any money

I found it to be a good source for a wide range of breads.

I would suggest reading some of the reviews on Amazon, especially the one from Robin in Bethesda Moldova.

Amazon.com: Beard On Bread (9780679755043): James Beard: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/616VQKT64HL.@@AMEPARAM@@616VQKT64HL

Chris

thanks for all the contributions.

tough decision with so many choices.

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhardt
Artisan Breads Everyday by Peter Reinhardt
Anything Peter Reinhardt does with bread is amazing, his books are standard reference works for most home and artisanl professional bakers. His breads are amazing.

+1 on BBA and Reinhardt in general, I like Crust and Crumb better than BBA but it does have a little less hand holding.

Back