Got a couple deer shoulders

BIG_JON_STUD

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I got a couple deer shoulders that my uncle gave me to smoke on my WSM. I plan on wrapping them in bacon and smoking them low at 225. I have never smoked deer before so if anyone on here has experience with this meat I would love to hear from you.

I like to make a wet rub out of fresh herbs such as thyme and oregano, with a little fresh garlic, olive oill, salt, and pepper. Take some skwers and poke the roast all over, rube the paste in, wrap tightly in saran wrap and fridge over night. Next day, slice and apple thin (less than an 1/8th inch) and put all over the roast and hold in place with tooth picks. Smoker the venison around 325* or so until it hit's 145* to 150* and serve.

I commented on another thread about these. A neighbor brought me a nice bone in hind quarter and I simply trimmed the silver skin and connective tissues, injected it with Smoke on Wheels, rubbed it down, laid bacon on top of it, smoked it for two hours at 225 *they are very lean, then wrapped in double foil with a Paulaner Salvator beer in it, took it up to 201 or probe tender, let it rest and pulled it. Best dang dinner in a long time.

I was wondering how it would pull because it is so lean. I might try this way. I plan on doing it on Tuesday next week. I will post some pron for y'all.

Oh btw, I wrapped it at about 150 IT. The added dark beer in the foil was epic. it pulled just fine. Two friends who never had much luck with the kitchen skills and flavor profiles just looked at each other in awe as they took their first tastes. I even fooled my 9 year old and served it up with bbq sauce, as he claims to dislike venison. After he finished it up he said "Dad that was the best shredded beef you have ever done" When I told him it was deer, he paused, shrugged and said "I guess I was wrong, I guess I love deer meat"

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Back