Started my "Northwoods Amateur" build tonight (BWS Pro Clone)

My main problem right now..... it's too BIG and HEAVY! Not sure how to move this thing around for comps. I can't put wheels on the bottom or else it won't fit through the door of the trailer. I have a large appliance dolly that I can strap it to and move it but I don't know if 2 people is enough to get it up and down the ramp of the trailer safely.

I really want to use this thing for comps although I wouldn't have to, there are other options. But I really WANT to, I'm jut not sure how to pull it off. I think it's pretty clear this thing is either going to end up getting mounted to a trailer permanently or it's going to sit at my house and be relegated to backyard duty. I really don't want that so I got to figure out a way to move it around.

Any ideas?

We dropped in on TTNUGE today and let me tell you the smoker looks even better in person. What a great job on this thing. Its going to serious turn out some nice pron in the coming weeks. I really like the craftsmanship on the welds and how square the unit ended up being. LIke he said, he is working on a system to move it around and get it loaded and unloaded from the trailer. It weighs about the same as a good gun safe so this is no lightweight. Looking forward to seeing you and Spears next week at comp judging class. It was a real pleasure to be able to drop by and see your setup!

Last edited:
Got my water pan back. Should do the trick nicely although I did want it flanges on all four sides on top.

3250868a-4c9b-607c.jpg

I can actually remove it from the frame and set it directly on the heat diverter plate on the bottom if I want. With the frame I can slide it in and out on its own rails.

Also picked up some square tubing and some heavy duty wheels too. Hopefully I can get them mounted up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We dropped in on TTNUGE today and let me tell you the smoker looks even better in person. What a great job on this thing. Its going to serious turn out some nice pron in the coming weeks. I really like the craftsmanship on the welds and how square the unit ended up being. LIke he said, he is working on a system to move it around and get it loaded and unloaded from the trailer. It weighs about the same as a good gun safe so this is no lightweight. Looking forward to seeing you and Spears next week at comp judging class. It was a real pleasure to be able to drop by and see your setup!

It was great meeting you and shooting the bull for a bit. Thanks for the compliments, I tried my best and when I didn't know any better I jut winged it. Hopefully the pron is good, looking forward to getting down to business. See you this weekend and hopefully many more times at comps!

I know I've seen this cooker several times in person, but the dang thing looks like it is growing! I wonder how many cuss words we will have to use to get this on the trailer the first time? At least we'll know if we can get this on the trailer than my NEW Toy (which we are keeping secret for the time being) will be a piece of cake!

I know I've seen this cooker several times in person, but the dang thing looks like it is growing! I wonder how many cuss words we will have to use to get this on the trailer the first time? At least we'll know if we can get this on the trailer than my NEW Toy (which we are keeping secret for the time being) will be a piece of cake!

I figured you were holding out on mentioning the new Toy.:clap:

Did I mention I bought a 12volt winch? I should probably just mount it permanently to my smoker because I think it will be needed to move it any and everywhere. :grin:

Did I mention I bought a 12volt winch? I should probably just mount it permanently to my smoker because I think it will be needed to move it any and everywhere. :grin:

I think we are going to need to use it to get both cookers in the trailer! We may have both lost our minds :twisted:

I know nothing........:wink::wink:

Now where did that idea come from? Heheh. You guys are the competition, gotta stop trying to help you out. HEHE. Its all about the brotherhood. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys this weekend. Should be fun!

I know nothing........:wink::wink:

Now where did that idea come from? Heheh. You guys are the competition, gotta stop trying to help you out. HEHE. Its all about the brotherhood. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys this weekend. Should be fun!

Should be a fun weekend, with many more to come! Just have to keep a lid on the secret for another couple of days, it should be here on friday.

We have a roller!!!!

3250868a-fc4d-5b7b.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but you get the idea.

3250868a-fc78-9f52.jpg

3250868a-fc85-6d2a.jpg

Got about 2" of clearance, still have to cut my smokestack down to about 2" and it'll be at 65.5" tall and *should* fit inside the door of the trailer. Thinking of making the smokestack detachable so it will fit but I can still run it at full height.

Looks good, maybe next weekend we should practice getting these things in the trailer!

Great looking build. I have a similar issue with a 700# vertical that I need to roll in and out of the trailer. What did you end up getting for a winch? I was looking at ATV winches to mount in the front of the trailer. What's your plan?

Great looking build. I have a similar issue with a 700# vertical that I need to roll in and out of the trailer. What did you end up getting for a winch? I was looking at ATV winches to mount in the front of the trailer. What's your plan?

I got a cheap winch at Northern tool that is rated for 2000#'s. I am still working on a way to make it more "portable" instead of having to mount it because I have at least 2 trailers I'll need to load it on. I was thinking of some sort of 1/4" plate with a clevis or heavy duty eye loop on it that I can use to attach somehow.

The other option is that I will mount it to a bar that will attach to the legs on one side of my smoker with some sort of quick release pins. That way I can detach it when not needed and don't have to worry about it getting too wet or too hot. Problem with this is that we'd also like to be able to use the winch to load up the other smoker as well.

So definitely a work in progress but the winch was like $70 on sale.

I got a cheap winch at Northern tool that is rated for 2000#'s. I am still working on a way to make it more "portable" instead of having to mount it because I have at least 2 trailers I'll need to load it on. I was thinking of some sort of 1/4" plate with a clevis or heavy duty eye loop on it that I can use to attach somehow.

The other option is that I will mount it to a bar that will attach to the legs on one side of my smoker with some sort of quick release pins. That way I can detach it when not needed and don't have to worry about it getting too wet or too hot. Problem with this is that we'd also like to be able to use the winch to load up the other smoker as well.

So definitely a work in progress but the winch was like $70 on sale.

I don't know what your trailer situation is, but could you weld a receiver hitch on both trailers? Then mount the winch on a plate welded to a trailer receiver. That way, you could attach it to each and then remove it when not needed.

I like the removable stack idea. Excellent build, very cool. as for loading maybe some reinforcement for the front of the trailers using square stock and slightly larger stock with one side removed with holes in each for dowels to drop in to secure it. Weld on a plate onto large open stock mount winch and you have a quick release. I don't know maybe I am making it harder than it need be.

It's home! Cut off the stack and sleeved it so it's removable. I'll take some better pics once I have some better light.

Birthday ribs on Friday! I got the day off so I plan on putting a full bag of Royal Oak lump in the basket and firing it up first thing in the morning. May do a biscuit test and then the ribs and then we'll see how long she'll cruise at 275 before I would need to add more charcoal. I plan on graphing the whole thing out using StokerLog.

Here she is loaded up on the trailer for the ride home.

3250868a-3361-3ffe.jpg

3250868a-3396-ad03.jpg

Trent

Back