Donation requests

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any ideas of where to go for product donations for non profit events? We will be hosting an event next month for a non profit company that my wife and I volunteer with (familylife). We would like to serve pulled pork, but not sure the best way to find donations. I contacted Farmland, but they support bigger things like relay for life and stuff like that. Any tips?

I have never done a non-profit cook, but see if you can network with a few local butcher shops. Maybe you can work a deal to get a little from each instead of all of it from one source.
Be sure to let them know what you will do for them. Free signage at the event or on a website. Something like that.
Meat isn't cheap

When I did more of these, we went out and contacted grocery stores, club stores, Sysco, and just about anyone else we could hit up. The key, we found, was to have a list of things that you will need, how many, and a multitude of entry points for donations. If a store balked at giving $250 of pork butts, maybe they could provide $100 of charcoal, or $50 of paper plates, or $25 of napkins etc... But, a clear and easy list, clear and definable goals, and a good explanation of who and why they want to support you.

Have you checked with Hy-Vee? How much pork are you looking to cook? Try a local community bank.

Have you checked with Hy-Vee? How much pork are you looking to cook? Try a local community bank.

Thats the thing.....I'm not sure yet how much. I'm in the planning stages, and it just depends on how many guys register to attend. We do have a Hy-Vee in Grand Island, but we are 30 miles from there. Not that the miles matter, but would they support something that isn't in their community? Worth a try though.

Do you have a local grocery store? Check with the Chamber of Commerce, VFW, Legion, or any public service organization that has a similar mission as the non-profit.

Do you have a local grocery store? Check with the Chamber of Commerce, VFW, Legion, or any public service organization that has a similar mission as the non-profit.

Get a good cover letter, an 'event at a glance' sheet and a delineated list of what you need. Then get the zipcode of where your event is going to take place, google that zip w/ the words 'wholesale meat'. Hit up everyone that is remotely close.

Good luck!

Eric

Back