What to do with St. Louis Spare Rib Trimmings - PRON

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I trimmed up some St Louis style spares and decided to try something different with the trimmings. In the past, I'd just put the trimmings in the smoker until they were tender and then chop them and eat on sandwiches. This time, I decided to try something a little different.

I sliced them into thin slices perpendicular to the cartilage and rubbed them down with rub.

picture.php

picture.php

I cooked them with the rest of the ribs at 275 F.

picture.php

Because the trimmed slices were thin, I foiled them after about 1.5 hours with just a little bit of water in the foil with them. I let them cook in the foil for about another 2 hours.

picture.php

For the last half hour of cooking, I opened up the foil and spritzed the slices with AJ about every 10 minutes.

picture.php

This was part of our lunch Saturday. I put a little sauce on the "riblets" and they didn't last long. They were tender, moist, and full of flavor.

picture.php

Last edited:
They also do wonders for a pot of pinto beans! Kinda like a smoked hock does. WM sells those trimmings marked as feather bone riblets. Good stuff and they have a ton of meat on em. Looking good there, I'd a few of dem ribs fo sho!

Bob

They also do wonders for a pot of pinto beans! Kinda like a smoked hock does. WM sells those trimmings marked as feather bone riblets. Good stuff and they have a ton of meat on em. Looking good there, I'd a few of dem ribs fo sho!

Bob

That sounds really good. I will have to cook up some pinto beans this winter with some rib trimmings in them.

maaaan, looks outstanding! :clap2:All I had was some grilled shrimps, rice and some veggies.......booooo. I need ribs!!

maaaan, looks outstanding! :clap2:All I had was some grilled shrimps, rice and some veggies.......booooo. I need ribs!!

Thanks! You are welcome to come over anytime, bro.

Try smoking them with salt and pepper only. When done, transfer to a roaster full of kraut and simmer a couple hours. Mmmmm

Try smoking them with salt and pepper only. When done, transfer to a roaster full of kraut and simmer a couple hours. Mmmmm

That's an interesting twist. I bet it's really tasty.

:shocked: WOW! This one is going on my list. I love kraut............and trimmings! Cool.

Bob

Thanks, bro! I highly recommend this cooking method. Very tasty stuff!

Next time, I will foil them a little sooner, though.

When we vend I sell them as riblets. They also work great for samples.

Bob

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. My beans are MUCH better with bacon ends vs rib trimmings.

Never had much success with the trimmings, thanks all for the great ideas :clap2:

Here in Chicago, we call them rib-tips.... Cook and chop up into cubes. Put in half pan with your favorite sauce and cook for another 1 1/2-2 hours... enjoy...

We usually grind the trim and mix sausage. Right now we are "sausage wealthy":-D.
Those riblets look real good, color me in on that one:thumb:. Just happen to be going to Sam's today.

Here in Chicago, we call them rib-tips.... Cook and chop up into cubes. Put in half pan with your favorite sauce and cook for another 1 1/2-2 hours... enjoy...

That's what we call them and that's how we do them here in NY too! :thumb:

Back