Lunch Express to Hell

ABT Technique

Chris,

I really like the look of those ABT's. My old standby method is to slice them in half, de-seed, fill each half and wrap with a half strip of bacon. Yours look more like you either put the two halves back together, or maybe just made a slit to de-seed and fill. It also looks like a whole strip of bacon. Would you share/verify your technique?

Thanks,

JimT

Chris,

I really like the look of those ABT's. My old standby method is to slice them in half, de-seed, fill each half and wrap with a half strip of bacon. Yours look more like you either put the two halves back together, or maybe just made a slit to de-seed and fill. It also looks like a whole strip of bacon. Would you share/verify your technique?

Thanks,

JimT
That's not my normal technique. My normal technique is to slice off a "cap" from the stem downwards that leaves a great majority of the cavity in the lower piece. I then hollow it, fill, and stick the cap back on.

For these it is very much like you described. These were rather long jalapeno's, at an average of 5 inches in length. I did cut them in half and filed each half, and then reattached and wrapped in bacon. I actually had to use 2 strips of bacon on each one due to their size to get proper coverage. I was hoping for the bacon to hold in the filling, which it did fairly well. One of them leaked out some filling when I moved it halfway into the cook, but when eating it the ABT did not seem to have any noticeable lack of filling. When I wrapped them with bacon, I wrapped it kinda snug and up against the jalapeno, and let the bacon stick together to itself while it cooked, using no toothpicks. It held fine except for the one that leaked, the edge of one of the pieces of bacon slid away on that one.

So not the best method for lots of ABT's, but that's what I did today.

Good lookin' eats right there! That blackened catfish fillet sure caught my eye :biggrin:.

I love to have your "fish",, hummm, k-7 isn't that far from O.P,,,,

looks great, thanks for posting the food.

btw, where did you get those peppers at? that's nice

Chris,

Thanks,

JimT

Jim, Instead of halving it, use a coring tool to core the jalepeno and leave it whole, then use a pastry bag with no tip to inject the filling into the pepper, and wrap with a whole bacon slice.

for stuffing i use is a shreaded 3 cheese mixed with cream cheese and whatever else(crab meat, crumbled fatty, whatever). heat it slighlty to softent he cream cheese so it squirts easily.

btw, where did you get those peppers at? that's nice
These came from my "closest" store, Hy-Vee by Oak Park Mall. I was shocked to see such large, firm good quality peppers there, normally thier selection of peppers is not bad, but not ideal either. When I am in the mood to get a lot of peppers, I go out of my way to go to the Price Chopper in Roeland Park. They have huge bins of nice firm peppers every time. However...the peppers I found today I would actually stack up against the one from Roeland Park. Probably just a fluke that the selection was this good today. I hadn't planned on ABT's today, I only did them because the peppers looked so gosh darned good!:cool:

Jim, Instead of halving it, use a coring tool to core the jalepeno and leave it whole, then use a pastry bag with no tip to inject the filling into the pepper, and wrap with a whole bacon slice.

for stuffing i use is a shreaded 3 cheese mixed with cream cheese and whatever else(crab meat, crumbled fatty, whatever). heat it slighlty to softent he cream cheese so it squirts easily.

Thanks! When you do it like that, are you wrapping the bacon lengthwise around the pepper to help keep the filling in?

Chris, sorry if I'm highjacking your original thread. It is allowed though, when you hit page 3, isn't it? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

JimT

Considering how many times I hijack other peoples threads, the least I could do is let my threads wander around a bit!:biggrin:

Back