MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
Also remember that you will pay California State Board of Equalization 8.25 % of sales. This means that if you raise your prices to cover the 40% being charged to you----you will also be paying the state 8.25 % .

Events like this collect cash register tapes every hour and question any No Sale ring ups. They also put a sign on your vending booth to tell customers where to report you if they do not get a receipt from you.

You will have a captive audience that can afford an eleven dollar tri tip sandwich.
$11 tri-tip sandwich. Wow! We charge $9 at the Laguna Seca races, but that includes potato salad. And that seems like a pretty high price, but the venue does support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Marsha would be very interested in seeing a list of questions that you are asking them. There have been a few events that have asked us for 20% and I would love to have some back -up via important questions to ask.

BTW at 40% I would walk away if vending over there. Here things haven't gotten advanced enough to need a cash register or receipts.
I will PM you the list later. I am still adding to it, too. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Business Friendly environment over there in Cali!!
You'd think they would want to make it easy for small business to do business. We end up buying permits and licenses for everything imaginable out here.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's high and you'll probably have a vendor's fee, too. Also, all it takes is one day of really crappy weather and all bets are off.

The "Ribfest" is like that here:
1. You gotta blow somebody to get on the "list"
2. You gotta pony up $1000 vendor's fee
3. Pay local licensing
4. Split the profits
5. Hope the weather stays good - what I usually would want is the DRINK concession!

On the other hand, you can potentially "make" about $10K on a Ribfest weekend but since it's ribs the food cost is significant.

Infinion would be a very cool venue (yeah, I admit it, I watch a LOT of NASCAR racing, bikes too!)

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
$11 tri-tip sandwich. Wow! We charge $9 at the Laguna Seca races, but that includes potato salad. And that seems like a pretty high price, but the venue does support it.
Michigan International has a BBQ vendor inside the gates that serves a 4" PP sammie for $7 all day long and its crock pot pork.

Is this for the whole season or just Nascar?

Nascar is usually sold out so guaranteed money. Where on the track would you be? High profile area or one of them off distance turns? That could be a VERY lucrative contract, even with the high percentage!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

The fellow we talked to said the whole season. BUT, as we have learned from the Laguna Seca racetrack, not every race draws a huge crowd. We lost money the first time we vended the 'Festival of Speed' because we over-estimated how many customers we would serve. Dumb move on our part not to research it more. So, at Laguna Seca we always vend at the biggest race of the season, the Red Bull US Grand Prix. The others, not unless we have nothing else going on.

Location is one of the big questions on my list!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I doubt you can charge enough or work fast enough to make it worthwhile.....never know though.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I doubt you can charge enough or work fast enough to make it worthwhile.....never know though.
Too true. Sigh.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

My over head at a vending event it around 50% if I do the numbers expected. So unless there are two digits before the comma with the first one being at least a 2 or 3 in your gross sales, heck no. That is a huge waste of time IMO.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Do you REALLY want it? If you do, give it a shot. You can always bail after 1 event.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #24
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We do a 2.5 day that has gross sales in the 5000 - 6000 range and i hate paying the $500 fee!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

usually those tracks have LOTs of food vendors... I would expect exclusivity on the items on your menu, and for 40% do they offer any type of guarantee? Esp if they charge a vending fee.

the vendors at our track that I know, always b!tch about how they are getting screwed, but they always seem to go back for more. So the money is good enough they put up with the crap. I wouldnt give up 40%. that's just me.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #26
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

it your going to pay 40% i would like to know are thay going to have all the power you will need or will you need a gen? will you have accsess to water? and what is the attendence # ? i work off the 10% # if there is 10000 there i will feed about 1000. something about this does not seem right.i have to go with bubba on this one i would pass,,, and are thay doing tickets or are thay checking your Z at the end of the day... now there is a paper trail... bad but this is just my opinion
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #27
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Just received the information packet in the mail from the food concession manager at this racetrack. Just glancing through all their rules and regulations my first repsonse is NO WAY!!! The area supervisor for our part of the track will come in and inventory all of our product first thing in the morning and we have to note spoilage and staff meals throughout the day. Spoilage must be verified by the area supervisor. We cannot bring in more product during the day unless our area supervisor adds it to our inventory sheet. The area supervisor will come into our booth during the day and do a check on everything. The staff must wear khaki pants, white shirts and black hats. (White shirts and BBQ!? We have black polo or t-shirts for our staff with our business name on them) If the staff are not dressed properly they will bring them the shirt or hat and charge us for them. All tables inside and outside the booth must have table covers that cover top and legs of the table. We cannot close the booth at the end of the day until the area supervisor says we can and then they will inventory our product at the end of the day, etc, etc. And then there are issues like the management of the change/bank funds, etc.

I have no problem at all following the rules and regulations of venues where we do work, like Laguna Seca racetrack, or the California International Airshow. But this place is very restrictive AND they charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks for all your great input folks. This event/venue is definitely a PASS for us!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #28
Caseyjoenz
On the road to being a farker

40%...no way. None how.

Medium Spicewine
3 WSMs

www.smokincaboose.com
Caseyjoenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #29
leanza
Babbling Farker

40%, to me, is in the blood sucking range. Your hard work, sweat and tears and then giving them 40%!