Guru vs water pan in backwoods...?

Bone Yard BBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello, I use a backwoods G2 and recently tried the guru on it. It got me thinking, this might be a silly question, but I'll ask anyway :crazy:

If I have the guru controlling the temperature, do I still need to fill the water pan?

I see most people use both and many have a system that keeps the water constant

I would just try it on a simple cook like a fatty or a butt. In addition to acting as a heat sink the water pan adds moisture. I have eaten a lot of "experiments". :doh:

My experience on a copy of a Backwoods.
Using nothing but a drip pan, vs using firebricks, or when using water. All had different heat zones from top to bottom mostly. Nothing different for the cooks like moisture of the meat etc.
But, just a drip pan seems to get a crispier bark in a shorter amount of time than using water or firebricks/sand. If that makes sense.
All compared at same smoking temps.

I have found that even with the guru if I have water in the pan and it (water) eventually evaporates, that the temp will climb too quickly for the guru to manage. If you started with an empty pan then that may be a different scenario.

The water serves as a thermal moderator, either with or without the Guru. If you are having problems with temps climbing and the guru not being able to choke them down, you definitely need to keep using water. I don't have a G2 but in a WSM running dry with a clay flower pot base as a heat sink, temps can run a little high also. The guru will eventually choke it down by limiting airflow to the fire, but it's not as fast and spikes higher than when running with water in the pan.

I don't have the G2 but I have the party and the competitor.

I went from a WSM to a Backwoods a couple of years ago. There was definitely a learning curve to it. I tried fan systems with it and found it burned thru charcoal a lot faster and temps would quickly rise. I started using just the water pan to act as a heat sink and help regulate temperature and love it now. It holds 275* no problem. My fans now sit in a box and collect dust.

When I bought my Backwoods many years ago, I had Mike fabricate a water pan replacement. He put insulation in the pan and welded sheet metal over the top, leaving about a 1" lip. I put foil down to catch the drippings, making clean-up very easy. I use a guru exclusively with this set up.

Back