Looking at getting a Blackstone

Rib Rub

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So seeing all the love for the griddles on here, I find myself wanting one, but I was curious, do you really use it all that much? I hate to lose more real estate in my garage, but I would love to have one. Not a big breakfast guy, but my wife is and that would mean more work for me, but I would love to do cheese steaks and burgers. Would also be nice to do a real omellet as that is impossible in a pan. Just wondering if this is one of those things you want and get then sits in the garage till it gets sold in a yard sale.

Do the grills break down for storage? A smaller one would suit me. I was looking at the Camp Chefs also, seem to be a few more bucks. Watched a few videos on comparo’s on the two and no complaints on either and no clear winners. Any Camp Chef love here?

My wife asks me every year what I want for Fathers day and I already said maybe a Blackstone! However I gotta get some room dug out for it as I will only use it in the garage as I am sure most do. The wife would be more inclined to use it if it had a place out there also.

Thanks for any feedback
Dave

First, check out the Blackstone Griddle Owners group on Facebook. Lots of good discussion, advice and recipes.

Second, the Blackstone comes in a 17 and 22 inch which are very portable. the 28 and 36 do break down but its bulky. There is also a tailgater model which is a stand that comes with a 17 on one side and a grill on the other.

I've seen some GREAT stuff coming off the Blackstone. Mine is in the garage in the box...will be assembled in a few weeks after I get my patio poured.

I use mine a lot. I haven't done= steaks, wings, ribs, or any kind of roasts on mine. I'm sure it can be done, but some things are just better over fire.
It has become another outdoor cooker...I plan what to cook, then decide on which is best to cook on. ie: if we are in the mood for cheese steaks= blackstone, but if the wife wants Wings= the Kettle. Burgers are an issue. Sometimes a flame grilled burger sounds good, other times a smashburger is in order.
I would recommend it....if you find you don't use it...it's pretty easy to sell off.
I have the 28", the 80(ish) pound steel griddle comes off, and the legs fold for storage or travel.

I just got a Blackstone 17 tabletop griddle. Only $59 on Amazon. Its an incredible value. Very easily portable, easily stowable and so much fun to cook on. Im gonna use it for Cinco de Mayo taco party.

I have the larger version and love it. I cook for many growing kids so the extra space comes in handy. Pancakes for 15 kids, no problem! When I'm cooking for a small group then I only light 2 of the 4 burners. I like having the flexibility.

The side shelves easily come off but folding it down etc would take a lot more work. The griddle top comes off and then you can fold down the frame - but again, it's not something I would do on a regular basis. I'm not sure if the smaller version is easier to fold down.

Like others have said, it's another tool in my cooking arsenal. Fired rice, tacos, burgers, breakfast, cheesesteaks, hotdogs, veggies, and the list goes on.

I've had both a Blackstone and Camp Chef Flat Top Grill. I originally purchased the CC online for $299 (shipped). Before it arrived, the 2-burner 28" Blackstone was on sale at Walmart for $99. I couldn't pass that up and justified the purchase of the Blackstone thinking I would use it for camping as the legs on the 2-burner Blackstone fold up. The CC arrived and it no doubt is heavy duty and built like a tank. The Blackstone is not built like a tank, but still sturdy. I lived with and used both all last summer.

The CC is super heavy duty and it takes a long time to heat up. This is due to the heavy 70lb griddle. It does a great job cooking, but again it takes awhile to get heated up. The CC also doubles as a regular propane grill if you remove the griddle. I never used it for that. Also, 3 of the 4 pins that hold the folding shelves upright broke (the welds on the pins are weak) and CC replaced them each time under warranty.

My 2-Burner Blackstone is lighter and much easier to move around. It heats up quickly and I believe performs as good as the Camp Chef. Over the course of last summer, I found myself always using the Blackstone because I found it quicker and easier to move around, which I have to do in my backyard. I ended up selling my CC around Xmas for $250. I'm never getting rid of my 2-burner Blackstone. When this breaks, I'm getting another one.

With regards to if you'll use it? A huge Yes! I wondered the same if I'd use it and I found myself using mine more than I ever imagined. Aside from the obvious breakfast items, we make awesome burgers, fajitas, al pastor, carne asada, unreal grilled cheese sandwiches, cheesesteaks, loco moco (Hawaiian), fried rice, chow mein, pork chops, steaks (or for reverse searing), and other stuff I can't think of cause this is making me hungry thinking about it.

You mentioned you want a smaller unit - then get the 2 burner Blackstone. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I just won one at work and plan on keeping it. I'm sure there will be times when I don't feel like firing up the stick burner. If I'm looking for a quick meal, I think it will come in handy. I was considering a gas grill for that reason, but this will work fine. I may have to join the Facebook group for recipe ideas though.

Hate to say it, but it really depends on you. Some people here use their Blackstone 2, 3 or more times per week. Others might use them once a month or perhaps a couple of times per year.

I have a 36in and 17in Blackstone, as well as a 36in Camp Chef griddle for my camp stove. If I want to scramble up a half dozen eggs and fry a half pound of bacon or sausage, I use my frying pan on the stove. It's just faster and easier for me on small amounts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have the 36 and rarely ever use it since getting the PBC as I'm a guy who thinks there is a real hassle to it; however, the thing is still awesome.

I don't have a lot of people to cook for and the PBC allows me to do more in the way of leftovers while not having to man the station, as it were. It makes great food, however.

I always *want* to use it, but usually talk myself out of it. If I had a dedicated spot available for it where I didn't have to wheel it out and around, I'd use it much more often.

First spring/summer in our new place where it is easier to use it than before so I'm going to try and make it a point to get more use out of it. It is a lot of fun once you get going.

I have the 36" Blackstone and use the heck out of it. :thumb:

They are pretty darned fun to cook on! Sometimes I catch myself flippin and grinnin!

Just bought the 22" blackstone at Walmart. Items included hose for 20lb propane tank, table with lid for $147.00. HSN sells the 22" for $199.00.

I was all excited about mine. Used it 2-3 times. Been sitting a long, long time. Guess I'm not a short order cook. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey.. I'm saying sorry ahead of time.. I do not have time to read the thread at the current moment.. But.. I do have something to say about buying a black stone... Consider how many people you cook for and how its being stored.. If it has to be moved in and out of storage to use.

I purchase a blackstone 36" only because "bigger is better right?". Always how it works for me.. I have to store it in a building and move it out every cook. I only cook for the wife and I and sometimes two other family members. The 36" is actually the perfect size of cooking space.. I would always prefer to have a 36" over the 28". But the size of the entire unit what I have to go through to store it and use it is the problem.

But with me having to move the griddle in and out of the building, and everything I regret spending the extra money as a 28" griddle would of done just fine. I even moved to a different house... The griddle still hasn't made it to the new home. Wish I bought the 28"..

I don't know how many times I've walked past the 28" at walmart this past year for $75-$99 and almost bought one! This is just my personal opinion... If you are storing it in the same location your cooking on it.. or its simply just "roll it out of the garage" kinda thing I would go for the 36".. If you have to try to store the cooker in a shed like me, then Might consider the 28" instead especially if your only cooking for 1-2 people.

So seeing all the love for the griddles on here, I find myself wanting one, but I was curious, do you really use it all that much? I hate to lose more real estate in my garage, but I would love to have one. Not a big breakfast guy, but my wife is and that would mean more work for me, but I would love to do cheese steaks and burgers. Would also be nice to do a real omellet as that is impossible in a pan. Just wondering if this is one of those things you want and get then sits in the garage till it gets sold in a yard sale.

Do the grills break down for storage? A smaller one would suit me. I was looking at the Camp Chefs also, seem to be a few more bucks. Watched a few videos on comparo’s on the two and no complaints on either and no clear winners. Any Camp Chef love here?

My wife asks me every year what I want for Fathers day and I already said maybe a Blackstone! However I gotta get some room dug out for it as I will only use it in the garage as I am sure most do. The wife would be more inclined to use it if it had a place out there also.

Thanks for any feedback
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have the Camp Chef 36 inch flat top that I really like. It takes a while to heat up, but it is so much fun to cook on. I like to do cooks like they do in Japanese Hibachi restaurants and the big Camp Chef has plenty of room. I am fortunate that I have it on a covered back porch and I never have to move it because it is big and heavy. I chose the Camp Chef over the Blackstone because the Camp Chef has a sturdier stand.

That being said, I bought a Blackstone 17 inch table top model when Walmart had them on sale for 49.00 and I really like this one too especially after I bought an adapter hose to hook it to a bigger tank. It heats up fairly quickly so its good for a quick supper on a weekday. I tend to use this one more than the Camp Chef just because of the quick warm up time. Of course with the smaller mass of the 17 inch, the temps will drop a good bit when you add the food.

If I had it to do over again, I might go with this one.

https://www.outdoorcooking.com/products/flat-top-grills/flat-top-grill-475.html

What ever you choose, I think you will have a blast with a flat top. Don't spend a fortune on cleaning equipment either. I use a 4 inch non-stick paint scraper I bought at Lowes and it works great; just add water and lemon juice and scrape.

I have the 36 and don’t use it very much but don’t regret the purchase. A few times a year we will have the extended family over for a weekend and I’ll cook breakfast. Fun to be able to crank out food for a dozen with ease

They're fun. Like having a giant fry pan. I have a big extended family so it comes on real handy. There's something special about doing fried rice with 6 cups of cooked rice at once... Did a teppan cook with steak, lobster, veggies and fried rice before too. Breakfast is not only option. Problem is that my pops dug it so much, he took it. Can't say no to pops, so ended up with a heavy griddle attachment for my Scottsdale. It's great and probably better overall, but not as easy as the bstone.

Just get it. Life is fleeting.

Thanks for any feedback
Dave

This should convince you.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215789

Back