Percentage Question

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a bride that is wanting pulled pork and pulled chicken for 100 people. The catch is, she wants 75% pork and 25% chicken and I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out how much I need pre-cooked. Any help on making this easier?

I've only done a couple of very large cooks like that. My best guess would be 100 people = roughly 50 lbs of cooked meat. 75% of 50lbs is 37.5 lbs of pork cooked, which would be about 70-75 lbs of raw pork. 6 -8 butts depending on size. 25% of 50lbs = 12.5 lbs of chicken.

Is this a trick question? 75% pork would be lets say 75 four ounce servings so double that and smoke about 38-40 pounds raw, assuming you mean pulled pork. Smoke more if you want extra servings per person.

You don't say what cut of chicken but simple math says you need 25 servings.

I just cooked 93 plates. I had pulled pork, beans, bun and chips. More sides =less pork. I will say we did serve a lite sandwich, but not rediculously so. I will add it was free so no complaints. I smoked 43# of butts. If you serve you need less. If it is buffet you need way more. If you want a full sandwich I would lean closer to 55-60#.

Yesterday I was asked to prepare a BBQ dinner for roughly 150 people at a wedding reception. I have the Excel caterers spreadsheet which has made its way around by now yet this information is still very helpful. I'll stay in touch with updates along the way. The event is June 24th

Back