MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
woodsider
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone with Tappecue experience yet?

Looking for a good range, four-probe thermometer. There is a thread on Tappecue from early this year but no one seemed to actually use it and tell us about how well it works (or not).

If you have actually used the Tappecue system, how well does it work? Are you happy with it?

Since it is Wi-Fi I would expect it to have range anywhere your home Wi-Fi works so as long as your pit has Wi-Fi coverage this should have good range.

You can read it on an Android app, iPad app, iPhone app or iPod app so you don't need to deal with issues on the receiver.

If your pit is not covered with your Wi-Fi you could get a range extender or install another Wi-Fi router to your system to extend it's coverage. (I already checked and my pit is well within range so if this works well it would be a good choice.)

Last edited by woodsider; 07-25-2014 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: spelling
woodsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
s0upb0ne

@ roughly 200 bucks, what made you choose this over a DigiQ or CyberQ.
s0upb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, I have had mine for many months! I have had excellent service from the unit, and their customer service support is awesome.

They just released a "pit" probe, with clip to hold it on the grate.

Set-up: easy to do. Must download their Windows based set-up program and connect to the device with a USB cable. You then manually input your wi-fi settings, name your device, setup passwords, ETC.

After that comes the fun put, using the device. It's been nice to monitor my cook while at Church! Or at my local AppleBee's.

Name your probes as desired, see graphs of the temps, its a good device. Get notifications when a temp goes above or below your set band.

Problems: Rebooting the router helps device obtain an IP. Sometimes a refresh of the data on Iphone takes some time, not sure why.

Be glad to answer any questions you might have. Can also send you my guest log-in if i cook this weekend.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
woodsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0upb0ne View Post
@ roughly 200 bucks, what made you choose this over a DigiQ or CyberQ.
Thanks - those seem like great products but they are controllers. Don't need control - just 4 probe thermometer so I can keep track of multiple meat temps in different locations in the chamber.
woodsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
woodsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Yes, I have had mine for many months! I have had excellent service from the unit, and their customer service support is awesome.

They just released a "pit" probe, with clip to hold it on the grate.

Set-up: easy to do. Must download their Windows based set-up program and connect to the device with a USB cable. You then manually input your wi-fi settings, name your device, setup passwords, ETC.

After that comes the fun put, using the device. It's been nice to monitor my cook while at Church! Or at my local AppleBee's.

Name your probes as desired, see graphs of the temps, its a good device. Get notifications when a temp goes above or below your set band.

Problems: Rebooting the router helps device obtain an IP. Sometimes a refresh of the data on Iphone takes some time, not sure why.

Be glad to answer any questions you might have. Can also send you my guest log-in if i cook this weekend.
Thanks - sounds very promising.

The red-highlighted comments in your post suggest that the 4-probe temperature unit uploads the temperatures to their cloud service in real time so you can read your temperatures with the app with your mobile device over the cellular network (or Wi-Fi). Is this how it works?

In their website material they very briefly mention that they have a cloud service but they only talk about storing historical cook temp profiles - they don't say that it will automatically upload temperatures to the cloud so you can access your real time cook temps anywhere with your cell phone or iPad app.

If this is how it works, then as long as your pit is in range of your Wi-Fi, anywhere you can get cell phone service you can read the temp - talk about range

Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks very interesting and sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, I'll be interested to see how well this pans out!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's some reviews on this product.

http://www.burn-blog.com/6449/burn-t...i-thermometer/

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/pro...th-mobile-apps

Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
woodsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Good reviews - thanks. The second review also seems to indicate that there is a cloud service where anyone can log in to the cloud (provided they have the password etc) from any cell phone anywhere to read the temps.

Sammy_Shuford - can you confirm the cloud log-in from any cell phone anywhere you get cell service?

If this is true, the only negative for us Mac users is the need to have a windows computer to set the unit up. Can borrow a friends, but every time a Mac user would want to change something in the unit setup would need to borrow a computer again

Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Sammy_Shuford - can you confirm the cloud log-in from any cell phone anywhere you get cell service?

Yes, anywhere your phone has access, VIA cell or wifi, you can see your pit temp, or attic temp, or whatever you want to monitor.

The red-highlighted comments in your post suggest that the 4-probe temperature unit uploads the temperatures to their cloud service in real time so you can read your temperatures with the app with your mobile device over the cellular network (or Wi-Fi). Is this how it works?

Yes again, real time maybe 30 second delay, but close enough!

If this is how it works, then as long as your pit is in range of your Wi-Fi, anywhere you can get cell phone service you can read the temp - talk about range

Very true!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
woodsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post

Yes, anywhere your phone has access, VIA cell or wifi, you can see your pit temp, or attic temp, or whatever you want to monitor.… real time maybe 30 second delay, but close enough!
Well then, this puts the Tappecue in an entirely different league. For anyone who wants to keep track of their temps away from home, this is the only option.

Interested to hear how many other members think this is a very convenient feature. I sure do because I am constantly running errands when I bbq so this will remove the nagging concerns when I have to run out - I will know exactly how the product is progressing without any doubt. Can also sense any flair ups etc and rush back if necessary.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsider View Post
Well then, this puts the Tappecue in an entirely different league. For anyone who wants to keep track of their temps away from home, this is the only option.

Interested to hear how many other members think this is a very convenient feature. I sure do because I am constantly running errands when I bbq so this will remove the nagging concerns when I have to run out - I will know exactly how the product is progressing without any doubt. Can also sense any flair ups etc and rush back if necessary.
its really not the only option.

take a $30 wireless webcam, point it at your thermo

login into the camera from your phone.

I have never had the need to do this but I know someone who does it this way

We also use this method at my work to monitor test equipment that runs round the clock
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
woodsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post

We also use this method at my work to monitor test equipment that runs round the clock
That's a clever techie idea. However, it's quite a bit of work to set up, involves multiple systems, would be hard to read/see four probe temps and once it is set up it's not as convenient as using the app that comes with the 4-probe Tappecue unit. Also, the Tappecue has a history graph so you don't have to watch all the time to know what has been happening.

Not sure too many brethren would want to get into web cams so they can read their bbq temps.

At less than $200 for 4-probes with cloud-based access anywhere from any phone or iPad, complete with a historical temp profile for all your smokes, this seems like a pretty good value.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post

Very cool. Thanks.

Tags
Maverick, T-732, T-733, tappecue, thermometer, wi-fi, wifi, wifi thermometer, wireless meat thermometer, wireless thermometer