Question on Double Barrel Smoker Build

jefflouella

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Brethren,

I am in process of getting all my parts to build a double barrel smoker. I am kind of a tech head and think I am going to build it with a PID Temp Controller built in. My question is about setting up an optimal way to get oxygen to the center of the fire. I feel that putting the blower on the side of the barrel will have trouble getting O2 to the far side of the barrel. I could place the blower on the center of the barrel on the backside, but it would blow right into the middle of the fire. I think I came up with an idea and I wanted to write to find out. I couldn’t find the info I was looking for, but I may not be searching with the correct words.

I found this Log Igniter on a website. It is for a propane feed into a fireplace.

al-36ll-36-log-lighter.jpg

I feel if I hooked something like this up to the blower and ran it from side to side, inside the barrel, along the fire, I can control the exact amount of air directly into the fire. Would something like this work? What would be the negatives?

Thanks in advance.

I've done something like it in a "X" configuration for my uds. I've been too busy smoking to give it a test run with my stoker. I was worried about blowing ash but the combined area of the holes is much larger that the 3/4" hole my stoker is normally going through on the drum. ...shouldn't be an issue. Air velocity should actually be lower than it is now (same volume).

Back