MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
chefpyro116
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Question Bigger smoker for "cheap"

Hi all,
I new here and have been smoking for a few years on my WSM. I've gotten pretty good with pulled pork and ribs, but i can only do 3 racks on my WSM and I want to do more to feed the rest of the family. Looking for recommendations for a bigger smoker but not enough to break the bank. I'm in Michigan and need something well built as well.
Would a PBC work for my needs or maybe a pellet smoker? What's a good brand to start with?
Thanks for the input and help!
Cheers!
Jeremy
chefpyro116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
grilla
On the road to being a farker

Just get a hanging rack for the WSM. It'll allow you to do 6 or more racks at a time.
grilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Wasn't there a guy here a couple months ago doing a big, big cook an a WSM? Like 9 or 16 racks or something? I'll have to look it up.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out the gateway hanging rack on Amazon it will fit your wsm I think it's around 50 dollars will save you alot of money if you just need more room for ribs it will work just fine
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I searched for the thread I referenced. But seriously - by coiling them I think he got this phenomenal amount of ribs on a WSM.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Which WSM do you have? If a 14" or 18", consider upsizing to a 22".

I have the 22" and it can cook a ton of food. 4 butts, 2 briskets, or 2 turkeys? No problem. Ribs I can do 4 spares flat or more on a rib rack.

If you need more than that, I believe that Cajun Bandit makes a stacker for the WSM.

- OR -

Build a UDS.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with the others, if you are looking to save funds, stay with the WSM, it is a good smoker. Take a look at the third party accessories as described above.

You won't find a big smoker for cheaper, and you'll get exactly what you pay for, (including the headaches and remorse LOL).
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, ideas, Smoker comparison