Need Some Menu Help

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I am in final stages of getting set up with the local health department to be able to publicly sling my BBQ.

I am also in final discussions with a local brewery to join their rotation of food trucks.

So with that said, I need some help to finalize my menu. I plan on offering the following:

- Pulled pork
- Brisket
- Burnt ends
- Smoked Italian sausage
- Baby backs
- Cole slaw
- Baked Beans
- Mac & Cheese

Serving sizes of proteins and sides will be approx. 4 oz of each.

Plan on offering the following choices:

- 2 meats, 1 side
- 2 meats, 2 sides
- 1/4, 1/2, full rack size of ribs with one or 2 sides
- 3 meats, 2 sides
- 1 meat 1 side for kids
- 3 pulled pork sliders, cole slaw, and 1 add'l side

There are a couple BBQ places nearby so I am using their pricing as a guideline, but also figuring in my unit cost.

Does this menu seem reasonable for just getting started? I plan to add chicken next year after I have had the time to develop a recipe and perfect the technique.

I could also use a good recipe for the Mac and cheese. I have one, but it uses 5 different cheeses, is time consuming, and expensive.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I've been watching alot of Gordon Ramsay (ha ha)
I'd simplify it for the 1st serving of the year to your
Pulled pork, Italian Sausage [and peppers/ onions?? on a roll?]
and swap out chicken thighs for the ribs, keep all the sides.
I'd look at 'Pork Burnt Ends' (pull and cube a shoulder when it gets to 160, throw it in a pan with more rub and sauce, bring it to 190 ish... awesome taste!)
This menu will get you more $ x 20% and easier 1st cook.
Good luck just my 1 cent worth.
Promise Brisky next time - and deliver.

I could also use a good recipe for the Mac and cheese. I have one, but it uses 5 different cheeses, is time consuming, and expensive.

You ain't kidding.
I will repeat there's not much profit in ribs. That's why I was pushing chicken.
Good luck.

When vending I don't offer a kids menu. Too confusing when busy, plus a different roll.
1 sandwich, one side
1/2 rack/full rack
1 sandwich only
combo plate / everything with one roll (25.00)
1 side only
after the customers have a combo plate they come back and order more, as it usually is a couple or even 4-5 people sampling...

I don't cater, but I did notice you don't have Cornbread on your menu. Personally, I like getting cornbread as a side over beans (not a fan) when I go out for BBQ.

I agree with others. Simplify the menu in the beginning. KISS principle. Add items as business grows.

I'm with everyone else, 2 meats and 2 to 3 sides and build from there. When we do vend these days we offer 3-4 meats and 6 sides (3 hot 3 cold).

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I will simplify the menu.

Anyone have a good mac and cheese recipe they are willing to share?

This is very popular in my restaurant.
Mac and Cheese

3 packages uncooked penne
1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup chicken broth
5 cups whole milk
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
5 cups block American cheese, cubed or grated
4 cups grated cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon pepper

Cook pasta al dente.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Make light golden roux, gradually add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, (add cheese in three stages, making sure it melts in each stage), salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.

Toss pasta lightly with olive oil. Stir in cheese sauce. Put on warmer.

Mac and Cheese

1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup chicken broth
5 cups whole milk
4 cups grated cheddar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Cook pasta al dente.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Make light golden roux, gradually add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, (add cheese in three stages, making sure it melts in each stage), salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.

Thanks for the help. Have you figured out your unit cost per serving, and what kind of margin are you getting? 4 oz servings?

You'll need to figure it out based on the cost of the cheeses you purchase. Good luck.

I use a special extra sharp cheddar and a local dairies milk. You'll need to figure on margins based on the ingredients you choose

Mac and Cheese

1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup chicken broth
5 cups whole milk
4 cups grated cheddar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Cook pasta al dente.

How many 4 oz servings would this recipe yield?

Back