MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
LorinB
Found some matches.

Default Should I cover my new offset?

Just got a new Old Country offset smoker that is made out of 1/4". It will be out in the weather and I'm assuming it needs to be covered. Is this true or can I just keep the paint up and let it weather? If I do need a cover, where can I get one? Will it have to be custom made or is there another source?

Thanks
LorinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I feel better keeping my cookers covered, but I have no idea if that's normal or not.

You could look and see if the company that made your cooker makes covers, and if not see if another company makes a similar size one to the one you want. Charbroil makes covers of many sizes so it might be worth checking them out.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
caseydog

It is always nice to protect your stuff from tree sap, and chemicals in the rain. But, if you can't find a good cover, don't resort to one of those cheap blue tarps. Besides being ugly, they can do more damage to your paint than leaving it exposed to the weather.

The best thing for it, IMO, would be to build a roof above it, so it is covered, but can get air to it to stay dry.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Mine stays with a roof over it......whether it needs it or not!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Mark M
Full Fledged Farker

I had a canvas cover custom mfd for my smoker by Gianola Canvas in Sausalito, CA. Lia Gianola is the owner. Nice lady. I keep mine covered because the rust sets in pretty quickly if I don't. I've had friends say my smoker looks like I have a locomotive in my backyard. Yeah they're right, but at least it's not a rusty eyesore. One of these days I hope to build a shelter but for now the canvas works. Had it for over 3 years and we get some heavy winds - cover still looks great and is holding up well. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it, but I can post one if you want to see what it looks like. I'd think you could find a boat sail shop in Carolina that could help you. If not, check with Lia and see what she can do for you.

Congrats on your Old Country Smoker. Any pics and how do you like it? How were the shipping costs?
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

Find someone that makes custom boat covers. They can do easily.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs

"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I kept mine covered with a good tarp, it was more of a tent. I feel if you keep it outside and covered it should be able to breath [ for a lack of a better term ] I did this for years without any ill effect to the paint.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Boshizzle

I keep my Jambo in the garage and my car in the drive way. Whatever.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I do what Bo does. All cookers are in the garage and wife's Hummer sits in the driveway. Caught hell over it at first, but things have kinda cooled down now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I've had my offset 20+ years and has always sat out in the elements. It has no rust, nada...no problems. Every once in awhile I'll give it a good rub down with some cooking oil and it brings the black paint back to life.

I used to have a gas grill that I kept covered but the bugs & mice found it to be a good home.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
moontz
On the road to being a farker

This site has covers for all shapes and sizes and provides exact measurements plus they are very reasonable. I've had good luck both times I've ordered from them. http://www.the-cover-store.com/
moontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Cover it. Get a tarp.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
doctordun
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't have an offset, but mine stays in the garage. It's a quick thing to roll it out for use.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

My Old Country Brazos offset is real quarter inch (rolled) steel and has set uncovered outside on the patio for the 14 months since I bought it. After the first couple of cooks, the firebox started to rust a bit so I bought some Ospho (after asking advice on this forum). Wire brushed the rusty areas and applied the Ospho according to directions. Painted over the treated areas with high heat paint and haven't seen a spot of rust since.