Drum + Rib-o-Lator = DRUM -O-LATOR

Smokin' D

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well it took a bit longer than I first thought because I couldn't get the sacrificial drum till Thursday, so here goes.

Reconditioned drum with a crimped, not rolled, bottom seal

PA160300.jpg

A Weber top fits nicely

PA160301.jpg

Cut the bottom off the drum about 3/4" past the first bulge

PA160302.jpg

Cut the bottom out of the bottom

PA160303.jpg

Beat the heck out of the edge with a 3 pound sledge to open her up a bit.
Thanks, Hugh

PA160304.jpg

A close up.

PA160305.jpg

Everything fits together nicely. Time to drill some holes.

PA160308.jpg

Holes all drilled and the first exciting test fit of the meat carousel.
Please note the very fine garage fabrication of the rotisserie motor bracket.
Oh, and the bacon fat in the background for the seasoning.
A future addition of two handles above the rotisserie rod is planned. Not necessary but will make for easier handling of the unit.

PA180310.jpg

24 Chicken Drum Sticks for the DRUM-O-LATOR
12 with the world renowned Yardbird and 12 with celery salt and pepper

PA180316.jpg

Loaded up. Notice how the drum sticks are parallel to the long side. Don't do that. The meat can move and throw the shelf out of balance resulting in disaster. Caught it before there was a serious problem though.

PA180318.jpg

After about an hour. Getting nicely browned up. Also note the drums are at a slight angle. No movement and hence no loss of protein to the Fire Gods below!

PA180320.jpg

All done at about the two hour mark. Kept them on a bit long as the nine year old was at a neighbors house for a campfire. Chicken was tender and moist with a nice crispy skin for the most part. I do love rotisserie cooking!

PA180322.jpg

This thing is going to be a lot of fun. Get one for yourself.
Stay tuned because next time I'll tell you about fuel consumption and temperature control. Would have done it now but it's raining this morning and have yet to go outside.

awesome looking vittles! i am gonna have to get a roto some day.

on a separate topic:

i have a question regarding moding the sacrificial barrel to make the rotisserie holder.

why does everyone pound the lip OUT rather than IN? i would think that pounding it out would let condensation and grease drip on the outside of the barrel. pounding it in, just under the rib, would allow for the aforementioned items to drip in, keeping the exterior of the drum looking all nice.

thoughts?

(sorry for the hijack!)

Drums aint spose to look nice besides I think it's easier to streach metal then it is to shrink it.

Drums aint spose to look nice besides I think it's easier to streach metal then it is to shrink it.

Yep. Tried momentarily to do the inny thing ala WSM. Steel don't shrink. Would involve cutting and lapping of joints. Out pounding = simpler.

Very nice job on the sacrificial drum ring Smokin' D!

I have not had any meats spill from the trays yet, and I've always had a grate under the Rib-O-Lator just in case that should happen. But I have found that you do have to evenly distribute some smaller cuts to try to keep the trays somewhat level.

****Let me ask you this, since you've got yours spinning*****

What would you think of a Rib-O-Lator with adjustable trays?

Say 12" - 20" so they could be a Universal fit for a variety of cookers?

The reason I ask is, I really like the feature of being able to remove the trays without loosening the cross members. And those that have bought the original ROL to cook on the drums have a pretty tight fit.

What do you think? Is it a big deal or not?

It would make sense to have a "one size fits all" setup. Weber discontinued their rotis ring, and EZ-Que is the only other option for kettles.

Anyone interested in starting a Rotisserie Social Group? All spinners welcome!

Hey Brian. Thanks for introducing the Rib-o-Lator to the group. Nice product.
As to adjustable length, good idea may be costly though, but maybe not as much as having different sizes in stock.
As to removable trays, how about spring loaded or screw-in pivot pins?
The screw-in pins would allow for easy removal without the cost of an adjustable mechanism on the tray. An easy mod for some adventurous soul: a hack saw, a drill and drill bit, a threading device for the hole and the pin and away you go. Make sure they are TIGHT Though!

And I'll join a Spinners Group! A local single A affiliate of the Red Sox is a team known as The Lowell Spinners. It fits. And I've got the Rib-o-Lator, a battery powered rotisserie for camp fire cooking and a couple of other rotis baskets. Sign me up! But where do I sign?

Good looking set up. I keep dropping hints to my wife that rib-o-lator would make a great Christmas present!! Even showed her the website!! Subtly has never been my strong suit!!

Good looking set up. I keep dropping hints to my wife that rib-o-lator would make a great Christmas present!! Even showed her the website!! Subtly has never been my strong suit!!

Ralphie.png

You could always ask Santa..................

Looks good, just waiting for my ROL to arrive any day..........

Back