Earl's Firebox Chicken and Sequel Sides (w/ pron)

peeps

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, dwfisk as asking if Bandera clone folks cooked on the firebox top grate, so I figured I would give it another shot.

Loaded Earl up with some Stumps and some cherry chunks and got the fire piping hot (450F-ish).

Had marinaded some thighs and boneless skinless breasts in some Stubb's chicken marinade.

A7439C70-8CA6-4B9F-A79F-CD4D28E3C391.jpg

Then the fire was ready, I dusted the chicken with a mix of HDD and Butcher's Honey BBQ rub.

Threw the chicken on with some Possum Korn. Our guests and Tasha were intrigued by the sides I had cooked up this week.

532F81EC-11C0-46BA-9668-3FD80A0216FE.jpg

In about 15 minutes, the chicken had started to get some char from some flare ups, so I adjusted some vents and threw my heavy isolation plate on top of the fire backet to act as a deflector to finish the cook.

Once the chicken and corn finished, I had to pull a 3/16" thick, 20"x20" plate that had just spent 30 minutes soaking up the heat on top of the firebasket....that was an adventure!!!! I had to pull the plate to get some direct heat for the grilled romaine...see what I mean about them wanting to try my side adventures???

Here is the yard bird!

CF95C92A-9382-4F61-83A7-683532A37B13.jpg

The romaine...

0A29E21D-D881-4869-A5E8-CD140C909997.jpg

DB7F5874-A884-4E16-B23D-2FBE7CC6345B.jpg

And the money shot below! Please use this as my polling pic...

0150ADBB-8997-43B2-81F4-4A0BFB05DDCB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking plate! I've never tried Stubb's marinade, how'd you like it?

Nice looking plate! I've never tried Stubb's marinade, how'd you like it?
Thanks!

The Stubb's marinade was OK...it overpowered the rubs' flavor. We were out and about all day, so I just looked for something at the store that was meant for chicken and the citrus and onion sounded like it would work well with the rubs but it had an apparent soy/teriyaki flavor that I wasn't expecting.

Looks great. Thanks for heads up on that particular Stubbs product.

Looks great Peeps. Earl was def a big inspiration for me as well. :thumb:

i would eat that without any fancy silverware or napkins; thanks for pics!

All looks good! Maybe vise grips on the hot plate?
I used a double layer of cotton gloves with a welding glove over top and a town wrapped around the handle of the plate. That part of it was OK, the tricky part was figuring out where to put a piping hot plate without scorching other things. Finally, I opened Earls door and sslung it up one handed and got it set on one of the smokebox grates

firebox con charcoal?

foolishness!
No different than Kettle cooking. I was cooking directly above the coals, not using it for offset cooking. Never used charcoal in Earl for offset cooking other than laying a bed of coals for my splits...

Back