Greetings from North Carolina!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbq.tom

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all-y'all! Greetings from North Carolina!

I am glad that I found this forum and have finally been cleared to post! It took a few days, but here I am!

I am quite the barbecue enthusiast! I am currently compiling research toward a book that I am writing concerning barbecue at restaurants in North Carolina. I've been doing my research for the past MANY years, and now have eaten at and rated 303 Q-joints and other restaurants in NC (as well as numerous ones outside NC). I've talked with a publisher about my book, but I'm still finding new Q-joints out there and don't really want to leave anyone out. Sooner or later (probably later) I will get it published, but right now I'm having too much fun with the research!!!

Meanwhile, in my spare time I judge barbecue competitions. I'm certifed by KCBS, MBN, and the North Carolina Pork Council.

Also, I cook barbecue (mostly shoulders, but an occasional pig) for competition as well as church fundraisers and other social activities. The catering business has slowed down lately, but we used to cater 4-5 functions annually.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. I look forward to posting on this forum and sharing as well as learning from all-y'all.

Welcome!:cool: Sounds like a book I would like to read.:thumb:

Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Oh, but there is...

12 Step Program:
1- Find a smoker
2- Find a pig
3- Find adequate fuel
4- Light fuel
5- Put pig on the smoker
6- Regulate fuel/temperature in smoker
7- Go to sleep (fitfully, awaking often and always with a fear that the fire has gone out!)
8- In the morning – check the pig
9- Remove pig from grill
10- Begin cleaning/chopping
11- Add sauce to taste
12- Eat copious amounts
Of course, interspersed amongst the steps is to consume massive quantities of an adult malt beverage or other libation as desired.
Now that’s a 12 step program that I can handle!

Welcome aboard neighbor. I'd love to hear more about your book and the spots you've tried. Any of them down here at the coast?

Welcome aboard neighbor. I'd love to hear more about your book and the spots you've tried. Any of them down here at the coast?

Hey Wrench H,

As a matter of fact, I’ve been to several in Wilmington. Here are a few of my ratings and comments:

Carolina BBQ 2307 N College Rd., Wilmington, NC 28405 - (910)392-1955 (Murraysville) 3.5 (on a 1.0 bad to 5.0 great scale)
First visit (8/21/2006) I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Q on this buffet! Good moistness and excellent flavor, but still fairly tough and chewy. Stay with the chopped Q as the pulled pork wasn't nearly as good - had some kind of gravy/thick sauce on it. Slaw okay, puppies too oniony. Fried chicken was some of the best I've ever eaten! BBQ Chicken okay, baked chicken good, beef ribs good, deserts good! Revisited on 8/3/2010 - decreased to 3.5, dry and chewy with okay flavor.

Carolina BBQ 1602 South College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403 - (910)799-3464 4.0
This is the sister joint to the one in Murraysville (listed immediately above), but is quite a bit better. Q was moist and tender with a light vinegar hint and okay flavor. Very light smoke hint and not much heat. Pulled pork was sauced and pretty good, but I'll stick with the chopped. Other buffet items were good, especially the fried chicken and collard greens. Fried fat-back was tasty, but hard. Only $6.00 for all you can eat, plus tea & tax & tip. Good stuff for the cost!

Casey's Buffet Barbecue & Home Cookin' 5559 Oleander Dr. Wilmington, NC 28403 - (910)798-2913 4.0
Q had good moistness and was fairly tender with pretty good flavor with a good vinegar kick. White slaw was too coarse with good flavored dressing. Puppies were mealy - not good, with onion flavor. Chicken&Pastry was not bad, but not Big Ed's!; Baked chicken was okay, but dry; Fries were okay; Fried chicken was too dry with too much breading; fried clams were chewy and dry, without flavor; Mac&cheese was tasteless; okra was ok; cabbage was pretty good; tater salad not good!; tea-good!

Flip's Barbeque House 5818 Oleander Dr., Wilmington, NC 28403 (910)799-6350 2.5
A little different, not your typical North Carolina barbecue, but still kinda good. Fairly moist and tender with a mustardy flavor (similar to South Carolina Q). Sides were pretty good too. Good hushpuppies.

Jackson's Big Oak Barbecue 920 S Kerr Ave, Wilmington, NC 28403 - (910)799-1581 4.0
Q was just a wee bit dry and a bit chewy, but with good flavor. Good vinegar twang with a red pepper bite. No detectable smoke. C-slaw was a bit chunky with lots of spicy mustard flavor. Good amount on sandwich for $2.95.

Unfortunately, I never got to Skinner & Daniel’s before they closed. I kept meaning to, but it just never happened.

Please let me know how you rate these joints and especially let me know if I’ve missed any Q-joint in the area!!!

Thanks!

Welcome aboard bbq.tom!

Hey N8Man,

Thanks for the welcome! Are there ANY Q-joints in your immediate area or do you have to travel to Short Sugar's in Reidsville or one of the numerous joints in Burlington/Greensboro for barbecue??? Gibsonville is kinda close, but Jack's isn't all that great in my book.

Where's your favorite in your area???

Hey N8Man,

Thanks for the welcome! Are there ANY Q-joints in your immediate area or do you have to travel to Short Sugar's in Reidsville or one of the numerous joints in Burlington/Greensboro for barbecue??? Gibsonville is kinda close, but Jack's isn't all that great in my book.

Where's your favorite in your area???

When I'm out and about in Burlington I have enjoyed many a chopped barbecue sandwich at Hursey's BBQ.
Way back when, my favorite was Huey's Barbecue, and not just because my Grannie worked there forever, but they only do Catering now and the original joint with the Hickory Pits is long gone, I believe they converted to gas fired cookers. I've sampled their fare and it's not bad for what it is.
I've not been to Jack's but I've heard it's just okay....
In Greensboro I have visited Stamey's BBQ, not too bad in a pinch.
And as you mentioned there's Short Sugar's..again, not bad.

Hi and welcome.:-D from Rojne

Hello from Edenton, NC

Greetings lcbateman3,

Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you at the "Hog Fest" in Edenton in April. I hope to be judging that event this year.

What's your favorite Q-joint around your area? I've not tried/rated any over that way yet. There must be several for me to try.

Welcome to the Brotherhood, pull up a chair and grab a beer, sit a bit and join in the discussions damn glad to meet ya
RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back