What is your "go to" rib rub?

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been using Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple for a long time on my ribs. Would like to try some other things and thought I would see what you all prefer as your go to rub on ribs?

For Beef: Kosher salt, and fresh cracked black pepper
Pork: SM sweet and spicy, or Plowboys Yardbird.. Both are winners

J. Lee Roy's Cookin' Seasoning. My cousin who's from Susanville, CA (the town, not the prison) got me hooked on it years ago so now I order by the case online.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
I like sweet ribs so for me it's SM Cherry and or SM Sweet Seduction...

• Thanks
Everything they all said.

I really like to use Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy as a top coat. A base coat of The Rub Company Santa Maria, or now Barney & Dave's is there as well. Or my own basic Santa Maria rub.

My go to change-up is Dizzy Pig salt-free Dizzy Dust as the top coat. It is the non-sweet option

I do like 3-Eyz rub, especially when I am going to sauce with Blues Hog or other sweet sauce. It just works.

• Thanks
beef: SM peppered cow or plowboys bovine bold.
pork: SM sweet and spicy(i used it today) or SM spicy apple.

there are millions of other options. i've yet to use yardbird on ribs but i really need to, it's great on shoulders

Emeril Lagasse has a great rub on his website for his pulled pork. It works great on ribs too. Just watch out its spicy. I use that with Webber hot and spicy sauce. Its not anywhere near competition BBQ but it works great for me.

2tbs pepper
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder.

Back