• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Blown away by the economy of lump and WSM-pron

charrederhead

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've recently made the switch from KBB to lump.

Last week I did a rack of spares on the WSM using the "new" Cowboy lump (now available for a great price at True Value. Go to the website for an even sweeter deal.)

Prepped another rack this a.m. and opened up the WSM and was amazed at the amount of good fuel left and the amazingly small amount of ash.

I know the veterans here are aware of the reasons to go lump, but I wanted to let the newbies know that lump is probably at least as economical as reg. briq.s, maybe more so, and has so much less ash you won't believe it. So, take advantage of the T.V. Cowboy deal! (Not affiliated in any way, shape or form w/ T.V., Cowboy, or their subsidiaries, associates, families or friends.) :grin:

Here's what was left from that earlier cook, which started w/ a full ring and nearly-full lit chimney and cooked for ~5 hrs @ ~280:

Nice chunks and

so little ash.

A few close-ups

Bigger chunks go back in the ring for today's cook

Here's what's left of the reusable smaller stuff

Enough to fill a chimney

Interesting. What difference do you specifically notice in product after making the switch from kbb to lump?

Interesting. What difference do you specifically notice in product after making the switch from kbb to lump?

Not really enough data as yet. If I had to answer, I'd say none.

I never detected the KBB "off taste" as others have, (unless I put the meat on before the fire calmed down).

Another variable is the minimal rub (S&P) I used for that cook as opposed to a multi-spiced/layered one while using KBB. The timing of the switch to lump and minimal rub is mostly coincidental, although I'm entering a "let the meat shine through" phase in my Q-ing. Less rub, sauce on the side.

Vision asked the question of the day.

When I switched I switched from kbb and lighter fluid to Cowboy lump there was a night a day difference in my opinion. I think that may be more because of the chimney and not lighter fluid.

So KBB may not be that bad in retrospect if I light it in a chimney. The amount of ash was the biggest reason for the switch to lump.

Gentlemen.... return to the roots of BBQ and toss the briqs.

Lump is what BBQ is made from. Why go thru the drill of buying quality food and cooking it with a mix of noxious unknown ingredients that make up much of what most briqs are today. Know your food..... KNOW YOUR FUEL!

Vision asked the question of the day.

When I switched I switched from kbb and lighter fluid to Cowboy lump there was a night a day difference in my opinion. I think that may be more because of the chimney and not lighter fluid.

So KBB may not be that bad in retrospect if I light it in a chimney. The amount of ash was the biggest reason for the switch to lump.

KBB charcoal is fine charcoal to use. Starting it in a chimney and you will get a nice clean burn with it without the taste of petrolium products.

I switch between lump charcoal and briqs depending on what is onsale as well as using a mixture of both. The amount of ash produced by briqs though makes using them in my Mini's tougher as they will fill the ash bowl much quicker.

KBB briqs are easier IMO, but I like the lump. I easily get double the ash on briqs if not more.

Side note, I have that same boot tray, but mine has boots in it :wink:

Gentlemen.... return to the roots of BBQ and toss the briqs.

Lump is what BBQ is made from. Why go thru the drill of buying quality food and cooking it with a mix of noxious unknown ingredients that make up much of what most briqs are today. Know your food..... KNOW YOUR FUEL!

Unless you make your own lump, no telling what scrap wood companies use to make lump, works both ways.

Unless you make your own lump, no telling what scrap wood companies use to make lump, works both ways.

That sounds like a valid argument, yet I'd rather guess at the "wood" (I use Frontier Hardwood Lump) than guess what's ground up, pulverized and added to the briqs.

So far I have not smelled that burning "junk yard" smell from lump as we do briqs :decision:

I did my first ever smoke with kbb and it worked well enough but created tons of ash. After that I switched to cowboy lump and haven't looked back. It can be a pain to get the fire going.

today i picked up my 6th bag of the cowboy lump i got on sale at TV. i also use KBB but only when i'm doing short cooks that dont need to be high temp.....and the ash is waaaay better with lump

I buy mine in bulk. A palette 15 bags (40 pounds ea bag). Comes out to $27.00 bag. Delivered to my house! Stored it in the garage.... never had any spoil yet :wink:

Back