• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

here's my first comp brisket box. :icon_blush:

36th of 39

ohiovetbbq2008II-022.jpg

Can someone post thier worst box and then what they think is thier best box so we can contrast the two. I would start, but we are new and never took pictures (we are going to start at the next comp).

Thanks,
Frank

i don't think that will happen frank. that would be an entirely new thread. this thread is the worst boxes and what not to do. people will not post winning box photos. it's a big secret. :roll:

Wow! I am sorry I missed this post when it first started but here is my contribution to the madness. This brisket is from my first solo comp at Madison Ribberfest in 2008 - What was I thinking? Obiviously I wasn't thinking at all! These did not come in "dead last" but both feet were definitely in the grave! lol! :-D

DSCF0753.jpg

Question

I am not sure where you went wrong. i am no expert, so can you tell me what was bad, or wrong with your presentation? thanks.... marv

Someone suggested a thread where we post our worst turn-in box ever so I'll get it started. This was my very first tIurn-in at the American Royal in 2005. Seems I pretty much ignored all the stuff I learned here leading up to that contest. :roll: This is utterly HORRIBLE! I've progressed a small bit since then. :shock:

chicken_turn_in.jpg

44th place ribs:
Scores for appearance. 6's and one 7. Worst scores I have ever received for ribs. No I am not bitter at all. UGH.

44th place ribs:
Scores for appearance. 6's and one 7. Worst scores I have ever received for ribs. No I am not bitter at all. UGH.
No way that's a 6 or even a 7!!! I would have given it an 8 or 9! Plus look at all the ribs they got to take home!!!! Jeeeeeeez

Okay... I had a great laugh at some of those boxes but never doing a comp and considering next year can some of you (like Marv suggested) clarify what was bad about some of those boxes?

Or better yet where can we see some videos, etc regarding "triming chicken"? I would have never done it... As far as the Brisket boxes many looked good to me other than how the texture of the meat was discribed.

Help a newbie to the "Comps" out!

wow thans for the pics. Now my boxes do not look that bad afterall

Tim

This was first competition. We tied for last place in brisket.

Attachments

• DSC_0955.jpg
    DSC_0955.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,110
this was actually middle of the pack, our "pulled chicken" was last for this comp. sorry no pictures of that stellar turn-in.

The score on the brisket was 144.5716
our chicken was 129.4128

Great thread!

Chad is gonna kill me, but here goes!
Our very first FBA comp at Mulberry in 2004.
We were expecting to win it all! :oops:

I am especially proud of those ribs. :wink:

And, if I remember correctly, we were 13th of 31 teams with these entries. :-D

We have learned a lot since then.

All joking aside, the ONLY comp experience that we had was one event where Dave went to NY and cooked with Phil in the real early days of the BBQ Brethren comp teams.
That is why we now recommend "mentoring", "classes", "judging", and any exposure that a team can get before laying it on the line!!!!

Like I said---great thread!!!

TIM

OMG,, I Laughed so Hard at those Ribs I Kinda Puked alittle in my mouth,, Not sure if it was the laughing or the "RIBS"
This is Great!!!! Thanks

Back