Klose MOD - Pre-Heater, gaser, log/charcoal chimney lighter, crawfish/crab pot boiler - with PRON!

Monty

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hey guys, did a simple MOD to the Klose, thought i'd share the Pron with my brothers and sisters here.

When i bought my Klose unit, i also got the log lighter, because it comes with regulator hose, LP bottle holder, and threaded hole in firebox.

I added about $15 worth of black pipe fittings, a quick connect, and a 100,000 BTU jet burner, that i can use to Pre-heat the pit, light the logs, light a chimney of charcoal, or boil a crawfish or crab pot.

what you get with log lighter, minus the tank i already had.

picture.php

and this....

picture.php

and this....

picture.php

picture.php

Here are the 1/2" NPT threaded holes they provide to stick 3/8" log burner pipe through. I left it caped, up till now.

picture.php

picture.php

Here is tank and regulator hose with new quick connect and a few other plumbing fittings added

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the new 10 nozzle jet burner

picture.php

picture.php

Added a few black pipe pieces and a union. Had to adjust so that ash pan can clear the bottom and grate clears the top, which took a few prototypes to arrive at that happy point, but finally got there.

picture.php

picture.php

Here it is in log-charcoal chimney starter/"add some instant heat"/crawfish/crab pot mode...

picture.php

And here it is set up in pre-heat mode, with a 12"x12" 1/4" thick plate set on rack above to displace heat and not turn the top of my firebox red :eek: And yes, it heats this thing up FAST! :cool:

picture.php

Last edited:
Wow, that's some serious heat you've got there.

Get yourself a cast iron skillet and you've turned your Klose into a propane smoker. (Did I just say that?)

Holy moly ! :eek:

That looks like its gonna melt your Firebox !

DM
picture.php

Holy moly ! :eek:

That looks like its gonna melt your Firebox !

DM
picture.php

LOL hey bro, naw.. it just looks that way, it's 1/2" steel firebox it ain't going nowheres ( i have plans to line interior with thin fire brick.. someday).

Nice thing is, i can preheat the whole unit fast, then start a fire, or dump charcoal, and i'm ready to rock. OR if i need a quick boost of heat.

In addition, i also forgot to mention, every now and again when stick burning i can hook up my compressed air hose to that quick connect and blow "air" threw the jets - cleaning them out AND introducing some "forced" air to the fire at the same time :biggrin:

Pretty cool!
Where would one find a 100,000 BTU jet burner?

very nice gas burner I check an see if I can maybe find them a little cheaper I saw them somewhere.

dont know if these are the same
www.amazon.com/Cajun-Cookware-Propane-Multi-Jet-Burner/dp/B0000E2VRS - 216k

I just drew a lot of attention to myself at the office... I laughed out loud when I saw the flame in pre-heat mode... great job! I'm now envious!

Yeah, but Klose wanted $575.00 for theirs! :shock:
And it came out the side of the fire box on back side, so I don't think it's as versatile as this one either.

Funny you should say that. A few weeks ago I was asking around about how the Klose gas assist worked... actually I needed a crucial measurement or picture.

I was able to finally go through people's pics and found a member that had a klose and took a pic of the inside. Total cost for install 40 bucks including the turkey fryer burner, brass couplings and such. Ain't no way I was spending $600 for that. It works wonderful. I am surprised there is no real reduction in BBQ quality too and my fuel costs have gone down considerably. This is a big plus as I do quite a lot of Q.

I had an old regulator and fine adjust valve from an old turkey fryer as well.

Now that being said... if the bottom mounted set up doesn't work out too well, as Its bound to do, don't hesitate to install it on its side where its supposed to be for obvious reasons.

:frown: I can't see the pictures!

I did see the build you did. Very nice. I like all the "snaking" you did with the elbows to get it positioned where you wanted.

Hope the picture site you're using to host your pictures comes back up soon!

I wanna see some PRON!

Back