MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Lang 60D Cover?

I have a Lang 60D that sits in the backyard, next to the house when it's not fired up. I don't have the ability to store it in a garage or barn, so it's at the mercy of the weather. I do keep a tarp over it, with bungy cords holding it down to keep it from the big rains......but has anyone had a custom cover built for theirs, or know of anyone that makes them? Thanks!

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sorry, no custom cover here... I normally just leave her uncovered and in 3+ years she is fine. No rust any where.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

not that I have a trailer smoker, but there are places that make custom covers/tarps out there. I bet if you found one, they would make one heck of a cover for you. a fitted cover would look alot better in the backyard than a green tarp Im guessing
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I would probably stick with a decent tarp for cost reasons. However, I would use some pieces of wood to create space for air circulation to prevent moisture build up.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Check your local marina, I bet they know someone who makes custom boat covers and they should be able to do something for you.
TTNuge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
el_matt
Babbling Farker

FWIW, I was going to have a cover made for my pop-up travel trailer, basically just a big cube shape. It was going to cost me about $350!! Custom covers are not cheap, and I would imagine a custom BBQ cover would be even more, if you wanted a custom fit.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba

Here could be a problem...a tarp will actually trap moisture IN.
Its a big chunk os steel, a couple months of weather aint gonna hurt it.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Divemaster

I got to thinking about your dilemma and I’m not all that sure that you should cover it. Let me explain. A couple of years ago a buddy of mine had to have his A/C condenser unit replaced because of rust.

According to the tech, the reason for the rust was the fact that he had a cover on it. Moisture built up on the inside of the cover and had no place to go so it just sat on the unit under a dark colored cover that would heat up when the sun was shining. This allowed the moisture to melt and do its damage to the unit.

My Lang has sat outside for the almost four years in Chicago weather and it shows no sign of rust and has never had a cover. Now I do “Winterize” it by getting it heated up and ‘painting/rubbing’ it down with bacon fat. Yes, bacon fat. This cooker is nothing more than an odd shaped cast iron pan. Treat it as such and you shouldn’t have any problems. Now I do have to ‘paint’ the fire box 2-3 times a year with the fat simply because of the abuse it takes but the fat keeps it protected and it drives both my neighbors and their dogs nuts!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Kernscookin
On the road to being a farker

Interesting Thread. I have a Lang 60 and I too keep it covered with a very heavy duty tarp. I understand what you are saying and to be honest to only place water would get in is through the smoke stack and I could keep it covered with a bucket. Interesting, thanks for the thoughts. Of course my dear wife would probably raise cain if I have a bright orange Home Depot Bucket hanging on my smoker out in the yard.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernscookin View Post
Interesting Thread. I have a Lang 60 and I too keep it covered with a very heavy duty tarp. I understand what you are saying and to be honest to only place water would get in is through the smoke stack and I could keep it covered with a bucket. Interesting, thanks for the thoughts. Of course my dear wife would probably raise cain if I have a bright orange Home Depot Bucket hanging on my smoker out in the yard.
Moisture doesnt have to get in to be there.

Look up condensation.
#detroitporkmafia

Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I actually only cover with the tarp when big rain is expected, and have a contractors black trash bag over the smoke stack at all times when not cooking. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and keep the welding steel brush and black 1200 degree paint handy!!

I have done some research today, and have found "breathable" material that is used for grills and smokers, but it would be $1200 for a custom cover. He said it is guaranteed not to make condensation that would lead to rust, just like any good grill cover. But for $1200 I can buy a lot, and for $6 can of 1200 degree black paint, and some TLC when the firebox is looking beat up, I'll be fine!!!!!!! Thanks guys!

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ View Post
I actually only cover with the tarp when big rain is expected, and have a contractors black trash bag over the smoke stack at all times when not cooking. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and keep the welding steel brush and black 1200 degree paint handy!!

I have done some research today, and have found "breathable" material that is used for grills and smokers, but it would be $1200 for a custom cover. He said it is guaranteed not to make condensation that would lead to rust, just like any good grill cover. But for $1200 I can buy a lot, and for $6 can of 1200 degree black paint, and some TLC when the firebox is looking beat up, I'll be fine!!!!!!! Thanks guys!
Save the paint and the $6... Give the Bacon grease a shot, I won't hurt it and you won't have the prep for the paint....

Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread.....I just bought a Lang 60D w/longneck chargrill (40") about a month ago. I certainly don't want to leave it out in the weather, but I have no place to put it.
So, you guys agree that it's best to NOT cover it?
I'll try the bacon grease trick (I do have some rusty places starting to show up on the firebox).

Sure is a heck of a "patio model" huh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2516.jpg (159.5 KB, 98 views)

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper77 View Post
Great thread.....I just bought a Lang 60D w/longneck chargrill (40") about a month ago. I certainly don't want to leave it out in the weather, but I have no place to put it.
So, you guys agree that it's best to NOT cover it?
I'll try the bacon grease trick (I do have some rusty places starting to show up on the firebox).

Sure is a heck of a "patio model" huh?
craned that baby over the house? lol
#detroitporkmafia