MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Lillyq
Found some matches.

Default Southern Yankee BBQ

I have been smoking for 4 years, the last two off of an upright smoker I built. I love it, except for having to rotate the meat.
I have an opportunity to buy a southern Yankee BBQ 3 ft smoker for under $1,000. The guy is moving, and has used it about 15 times. It is in excellent condition. The thing I like most is it has an electric rotisserie, so no more rotating meat. I couldn't find much feedback on southern Yankee, any input would be much appreciated.
Here is their brochure on this smoker: http://www.sybbq.com/resources/sybbq_3ft_smoker.pdf

Thanks!
Lillyq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Lillyq
Found some matches.

Just to clarify: it is the backyard one on casters, not on a trailer.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

why the need to rotate your meat ?

I use a couple of Stainlesss steel hooks to hang the large pieces of meat I smoke - no need to turn it..

Old 07-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Lillyq
Found some matches.

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...3s6WmG5Z04u6s4

Old 07-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Lillyq
Found some matches.

I am new here, so I am struggling a bit with the images, hope you can see them.
I love hanging meat, can't beat the color you get. But, when I am smoking 20 pork butts, I can't hang them. Same with jerky, etc.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I saw my first Southern Yankee smoker a few weeks ago. It was fairly large trailer mounted unit. Overall design and concept looked good, but wasn't overly impressed with the build quality.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Lillyq
Found some matches.

I have been a bit stand-offish because I have seen as many as you, smokerking- just one, and it is for sale.
On the other hand, I love the rotisserie option for doing big cooks, and the sturdy grates.
Plus, I finally sold my traeger pellet pooper that I haven't touched since I built my upright; so the cost would almost be offset.
Could you elaborate on the overall build quality that didn't impress you?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyq View Post
I have been a bit stand-offish because I have seen as many as you, smokerking- just one, and it is for sale.
On the other hand, I love the rotisserie option for doing big cooks, and the sturdy grates.
Plus, I finally sold my traeger pellet pooper that I haven't touched since I built my upright; so the cost would almost be offset.
Could you elaborate on the overall build quality that didn't impress you?
I like rotisseries as well.

This was not a new unit by any means and perhaps the owner did some mods to it but the welds were not the cleanest and they welded house style door hinges on the doors. I may have some pics.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
FlCracker
Knows what a fatty is.

I had a 6ft sybbq loved it could have seal little better but if you can get a 3 ft for less then a $1000 buy it .You can always add a gasket to the door.It burns wood and/or coal.When I had mine it was on a Cabin concession trailer built by SYBBQ(I think it was the 3rd one built).I sold it because I neede more room and replaced it with Spicewine medium(another great cooker).
500 gal homebuilt smoker
FlCracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyq View Post
I am new here, so I am struggling a bit with the images, hope you can see them.
I love hanging meat, can't beat the color you get. But, when I am smoking 20 pork butts, I can't hang them. Same with jerky, etc.

----------------------------
the jerky I make, I definitely skewer.. (meat cut in 1 - 1.5 inches wide strips..)

I cut pairs of wooden dowels so they fit horizontally between (or on top of..) the rack rails of my smoker, then I skewer the meatstrips on steel skewers (skewer through the top and let them hang down..) and place them on a 90 degrees angle over the 2 dowels..

works like a champ!

Last edited by GARNAAL; 07-21-2013 at 03:13 PM..
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
Pigrigbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

I own 2 Southern Yankees, a 4' /12 rack on a log cabin and a 6' tow behind with a 2x4 char grill and sinks. I can say with confidence that the end result is significantly different than anything you get out of a reverse flow. The bark we get out of the SYBBQ is a big part of our popularity. For a grand I would snap that one up ASAP. A new 4' stand alone will set you back about 8 grand. Overall, I'm very happy with mine. I will say that they rip through some wood though. Customer service from the company on the other hand is virtually non-existent.
Pigrigbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Backyard, Southern Yankee