Homemade cherry rub??

scm1226

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone make there own cherry rub? I made some for a pork butt today and I find that it gets real clumpy. I took dried cherries baked them in the oven for a while at 175 to dry them o ut some more. Threw them into the coffee grinder and made a powder, well kind of. It was very pastie. Anyone have any ideas??

You asked, so don't laugh::laugh:

I use Dr. Pepper syrup. You can find this where the ice cream toppings are. I use it to coat the meat of choice, and then just top with my normal dry rub...so baisically I use it in place of oil or mustard. It works fine for me as I've used it on babys and butts.

I played a lot with Cherry Rubs a couple of years ago.
Tried 3 or 4 commercial, the yello approach, and a couple of other variations.

It always seemed that the Cherry flavor (which I love) cooked out and I could not find it in the final product.

Always open to trying again.

TIM

Put the whole mixture back in your spice grinder and mix everything together at the same time. Then stir it all up with a fork.

You asked, so don't laugh::laugh:

I use Dr. Pepper syrup. You can find this where the ice cream toppings are. I use it to coat the meat of choice, and then just top with my normal dry rub...so baisically I use it in place of oil or mustard. It works fine for me as I've used it on babys and butts.

This sounds very good. I'm gonna have to try it on my next smoke. Thanks for the tip! :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Once I tried this guys about three threads up I quit trying to make my own......Johnny Trig told me once if you find one that makes you happy quit spending money on trying to make your own and spend that money on something else that can make you happy!

I tried dehydrating pineapple to use in a rub and I had the same issues. I couldn't get it dry enough to make a nice powdered rub. I'm liking the syrup ideas that have been posted here... or preserves with another rub applied on top of that... might be worth a whirl...

Anyone make there own cherry rub? I made some for a pork butt today and I find that it gets real clumpy. I took dried cherries baked them in the oven for a while at 175 to dry them o ut some more. Threw them into the coffee grinder and made a powder, well kind of. It was very pastie. Anyone have any ideas??

Try using your normal rub and use a spray bottle of cherry juice to spray the pork butts as they cook. This will carry the cherry flavor and will leave a nice shiny glaze over the bark as well.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will get around to order the simply marvelous cherry, but I like to play around first.

Back