BBQ Brethren "Love/Hate" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Love/Hate!"[/size]
love-hate-baby.jpg

Image from The Inquisitr!

...as chosen by bluetang, the winner of the On A Stick Throwdown!

The idea behind this one is to make something you hated as a kid:puke:, but love today!:love:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/3 through Sunday 6/19.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 6/19.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 6/20 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 6/24. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Carnival Food Throwdown until Sunday night 6/5 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Buffalo Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Oooh, that's a good one bluetang! I gotta think on that one 'cause there was a lot I just didn't have the chance to try when I was a kid but love now.

This is a fun one.
Who'd of thought that being a picky eater as a kid would pay off. I hated the usual things kids hate like blue cheese, mushrooms, spinach and liver. I thought that my parents were cruel for even suggesting that we try them, but I also hated onions,tomatoes and steak that was in any way pink and how I would moan if it looked bloody. But all that's changed. I even like goat cheese now but that only happened a couple of years ago. Maybe I can come up with something that has all of the things I uses to hate in it?
OK, I'm off to think. Thanks for the inspiration.

I so agree with the cruel thing for sure, well at the time. Those were some long friggin' nights, as there was no negotiating at the table. My brother and I tried to state our case a few times, but to no a vale. If it was put in front of us, it was gonna be eaten, period. What surprises me though is that the dinners I hated then, I love now. Most of which actually turned out to be just dang normal!

I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything I did hate as a kid. Except maybe anchovies and I'm still unsure about those suckers now except as a paste ingredient in another dish but just plain anchovies...

Loved fried eggplant as a child (sorry Gore). My mother made fried green tomatoes one time and told me it was eggplant. Not the same, I hated it. She lost my trust for like 3 days over that one. Smoked green tomatoes? Perhaps.

I so agree with the cruel thing for sure, well at the time. Those were some long friggin' nights, as there was no negotiating at the table. My brother and I tried to state our case a few times, but to no a vale. If it was put in front of us, it was gonna be eaten, period. What surprises me though is that the dinners I hated then, I love now. Most of which actually turned out to be just dang normal!

Ha! I remember my mom saying things like "If you just eat the rest of your vegetable you don't have to eat the mashed potatoes." I would then try to bury the remaining vegetable under a pile of mashed potatoes. I'm pretty sure it never worked. . .

Honestly, I can't remember too many things I didn't like eating as a kid. I'll really have to rack my brain if I want to attempt this TD.

I always liked eggplant actually, but probably not stuffed with granola and broccoli :thumb:.

I don't think I ever got away from hiding vegetables. One of my oldest memories is sitting at the table for hours while everyone else was watching TV. All I had to do was eat those last couple bites. If only I knew what those bites were now, I'd probably have a winner.

I don't think I ever got away from hiding vegetables. One of my oldest memories is sitting at the table for hours while everyone else was watching TV. All I had to do was eat those last couple bites.

My 'go to' move was always the strategically placed napkin across the plate and then asking to be excused from the table. I still try it on my Mom at holidays from time to time when she makes a casserole or something I don't like - also for a laugh. Didn't work then, doesn't work now.

We also had a very well fed dog when I was kid. She was a great dog because she could eat table scraps clandestinely.

Also tried 'I have to go to the bathroom' with limited success.

I always liked eggplant actually, but probably not stuffed with granola and broccoli :thumb:.

I don't think I ever got away from hiding vegetables. One of my oldest memories is sitting at the table for hours while everyone else was watching TV. All I had to do was eat those last couple bites. If only I knew what those bites were now, I'd probably have a winner.

We ate our dinner IN the TV room.:becky:

My folks got on a health food kick when I was around 10. I will not preparing any dish with carob, however.

I hope i get my smoker up and running in time. I have a great idea for this one. According to the site I ordered my WSM from, I should have it by Thursday 5/9/11

Theres a ton of stuff I hated as a kid, but that's because my mom cooked everything to death, and most of our veggies came from cans (ever had canned asparagus?).

I guarantee that no protein borne bacteria survived in our house, since meats were cooked to leather consistency. Especially pork. Ever had a pork chop suck all the saliva out of your mouth?

What mom did to fresh fish was downright criminal, IMO.

CD

Note: In fairness, my mom now buys almost all fresh veggies, and steams them to just the right doneness, and my dad let me teach him how to cook a proper steak -- and I took away his grilling fork and bought him some tongs. Being an engineer, he had no problem understanding why we don't poke holes in hot meats.

Caseydog, you're bringing back some great memories. My early memories of my mom's cooking were not good. She just never had the patience for it. I remember very distinctly when I was 3 or 4 years old her cooking me a hamburger for lunch in the oven (yes, the oven). She had it on broil on the top rack and the entire inside of the oven was filled with flames that sprang out when she opened it -- this was a terrifying experience for a young boy. I remember very distinctly the hard, blackened, carbonized outer crust and the bright red, cold and raw interior and wondered how such a thing was even possible. Oh, how I longed for McDonalds. Once Mom settled down and wasn't working full time, going to school and raising kids, she became quite a good cook, but she still does some really silly things in the kitchen sometimes.

Caseydog, you're bringing back some great memories. My early memories of my mom's cooking were not good. She just never had the patience for it. I remember very distinctly when I was 3 or 4 years old her cooking me a hamburger for lunch in the oven (yes, the oven). She had it on broil on the top rack and the entire inside of the oven was filled with flames that sprang out when she opened it -- this was a terrifying experience for a young boy. I remember very distinctly the hard, blackened, carbonized outer crust and the bright red, cold and raw interior and wondered how such a thing was even possible. Oh, how I longed for McDonalds. Once Mom settled down and wasn't working full time, going to school and raising kids, she became quite a good cook, but she still does some really silly things in the kitchen sometimes.

My most memorable story was one night, when my Dad was out of town (which was often), I came home late for dinner (which was often), and found my sister cleaning fish and eggplant off the kitchen wall.

All my sister said said was, "Don't tell mom that the fish is mushy."

I ate every mushy bite. I even ate the eggplant, which was quite possibly the biggest challenge of my life, up to that point. :laugh:

CD

My mom was a great cook, there were so many things I loved. I don't much care for fish. I detest Tororo, a dish consisting of grated mountain yam, raw eggs and soy sauce. Gah! Horrid! I did hate steak as a kid though. :-D

Back