Question on St Louis cut ribs

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been trying my hand at St Louis cut ribs lately, and have a question about the "squaring up" part. If I start at the biggest rib and cut a straight line from there, there'll sometimes be the little round cartilage pieces left where the smaller ribs are. Is this ok to have in a competition? Or do I need to redo the cut to get rid of those? Thanks!

A lot of teams remove all of the cartilage and square up the corners from that point. As a CBJ, if I get a good rib then I score it accordingly whether it's ST Louis style or not. But, that's just me.

Square them up the way you described and you're all set. Take your ribs for turn-in from the middle of the rack and you'll be OK. The cartilage only turns up in the last few ribs and you won't be using those anyway. And besides, the judge will be taking one bite from the middle of the rib. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I was never really sure about what to do with the little leftover cartilage pieces.

Thanks for the tips. I was never really sure about what to do with the little leftover cartilage pieces.

Some comp teams throw them away and some cook them and eat them or give them away to friends or both.

Square them up the way you described and you're all set. Take your ribs for turn-in from the middle of the rack and you'll be OK. The cartilage only turns up in the last few ribs and you won't be using those anyway. And besides, the judge will be taking one bite from the middle of the rib. Good luck!

What Bob said. You should be doing more than 1 rack for comps, so the ends with cartilage should be extras.

Thanks for the help guys. Ive got a comp coming up this weekend where they supply the meat, so hopefully they will provide more than one rack.

Back