• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Thinking

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I borrowed the following quote from R L Reeves Jr., a member here, that I think is pretty telling...Link to his site (I hope this was okay to quote)

"It's the Texas tradition, and it's getting harder to come by as 99% of barbecue houses hereabouts get their sausages made at local factories and charge prices like they produced them in their own prep rooms.
It's Texas barbecue's dirty little secret.
Thankfully, there are a few young bucks around town like John Lewis at LA BBQ and Tom at Micklethwait Craft Meats who carry on like a couple salty old timers born in the 1940s."

This is something that I have been giving more and more thought to, in particular, as it relates to our brand of BBQ out here, Santa Maria BBQ. But, in general, about BBQ across the board. It seems like we (the country, not The Brethren) have all become quite ready to allow restaurants and television to define what BBQ is, or is not, in terms of style and flavor.

I mean, we often allow that somehow Memphis style ribs have dry shake on them, or KC style has a rich molasses sauce on them etc...

I have heard that 'Hot Guts' were hardly even available anymore, as the sausage was made milder and fatty, to appeal to a wider audience. What do you all think?

Landarc, you should know living in CA that BBQ is already way watered down to the level of grilling and adding BBQ sauce being called "BBQ". I have to go out of my way to find real BBQ that I don't cook myself. Furthermore, most people I've met are still clueless what brisket is or smoke rings. They only know what is fed to them from the media or a restaurant serving BBQ something that's grilled and parboiled.

It is a typical response to the instant information age we are in now.
What TV & the media (electronic or otherwise) says, it what people tend to believe.

(The Sheeple principle)

It is a double edge sword.

BBQ has gotten a huge popularity boost due to the exposure, unfortunately, that exposure is not all entirely accurate or representative of what BBQ means to the individual regions where it developed.

So we have more & more people that are getting on the BBQ Train...unfortunately, most are not even on the correct train.

But, think about what R.L. is saying, that even in Texas, where Hot Guts is the tradition that defined Texas BBQ, they are letting it slip away.

When Texas starts to let a BBQ tradition die, it's time for all of us to worry. I suppose economics come into play. It's cheaper to pay someone else to make your sausage for you in terms of direct labor costs to make it yourself compared to buying from a place that specializes in making it.

It's too bad, but I noticed it in Texas too. At least one of the famous Lockhart BBQ restaurants are having their sausage made for them off premises now too.

I agree with all of your comments. But I think it goes much further than BBQ. With the explosion of chain restaurants, and the steady decline of local family owned establishments, we will see a further decline in food authenticity and flavor. The large corporations that own the chains are always looking for the broadest appeal they can achieve while sacrificing quality for profit. The best weapon we have is our pocketbook.

I agree with all of your comments. But I think it goes much further than BBQ. With the explosion of chain restaurants, and the steady decline of local family owned establishments, we will see a further decline in food authenticity and flavor. The large corporations that own the chains are always looking for the broadest appeal they can achieve while sacrificing quality for profit. The best weapon we have is our pocketbook.
This is very true. I had not really extended this out like that, but, it is true. I see a similar thing happening out here with ramen, but, with Foodies and Foodinistas driving it. They are taking what was basically a street food and making it wholly too fancy.

Very though provoking chit here and sadly all too true! +1 on onexchef tag line: use your pocketbook, its all we have.

There will always be places looking to cut corners to appeal to people who are looking for the cheapest food and aren't interested in quality.

and likewise,

There will always be places looking to increase quality to appeal to people who are looking for the best food regardless of price.

I'm not really too concerned.

Well hopefully it's just a trend that will change. Things keep changing, and at some point what was in is out and what was out is in. I'm not really a fan of anything that is produced and consumed on a massive scale, and BBQ is no different.

If people didn't buy chitty food, chitty food wouldn't be made, but they do buy it, so it is made. Not sure what to do about it other than not buy it myself.

@Gore
You are right there are people who prescribe to the "quality food will get me business" philosophy. The problem as I see it is the other side has much deeper pockets. When a chain restaurant opens up in a particular area, and does not preform as well as expected, they have a better chance of staying open because they have corporate money backing them up. When an individual with quality in mind opens he better be able to attract a crowd right away or he is doomed. I have been in the foodservice industry for 30 years, and you can trust me when I tell you chain restaurants are impacting negatively on quality and authenticity in that industry.

More evidence of why taking the time to do it yourself with fresh ingredients is the better way. There is something to be said for convenience though. Not sure where to draw the line. I mean how much quality am I willing to sacrifice in order to have more convenience.

And when it comes to defining anything I personally like to learn everything I can then come up with my own way. I'm still learning after all. The TV shows and restaurants and the so called experts are only guides as far as I am concerned.

My goal is to come up with a ME style. And it would be authentic - authentic ME. (If this makes any sense.)

Brian

That's a good point onexchef. In my town people absolutely eat with their wallet. They killed a Red Lobster and a Cracker Barrel all in one year. But Duff's Buffet of fat, is raking it in with wheelbarrows. We used to have a REAL BBQ place in town. This guy had it down, stick burners great Q and even Blues over the speakers. He went toes up in 18 months. The places that make it here are Bar/Grills. Setup a good bar, serve some good food at a reasonable price and the place will be packed. And for the most part the quality is very good. However, like what was said earlier the flavor is adjusted to appeal to a much larger audience so any specialty is lost. My wife and I go out once a week. But, I enjoy my cooking better and make it the way I want it to taste. So as long as I can do that I use the restaurant for gatherings with friends.

@Bluesman
But, I enjoy my cooking better and make it the way I want it to taste.

I think most of us do. Thats why we lurk here trying to steal secrets.:oops:

Ha! Try living around here. The mention of BBQ sandwiches for dinner will actually have everyone looking forward to this:

sloppy_joe.jpg

Maybe even with some tater-tots. At least my MIL doesn't use that Manwich stuff in the can, but really it's ketchup and mustard and ground beef. Not much about that says BBQ to most folks here (as in the brethren).

The world's going to hell in a hand basket, so let no homemade sausage get out alive people, smoke em if you got em, before we're all stuck eating farking sloppy joe's!

The world's going to hell in a hand basket, so let no homemade sausage get out alive people, smoke em if you got em, before we're all stuck eating farking sloppy joe's!

Now thats funny:clap2:

There are a few rays of hope like Franklin's in Austin and Oklahoma Joe's in KC where people are not only seeking to eat excellent BBQ but are willing to stand in long lines to get it.

This must be catching the attention of the so-called competetion.

@Gore
You are right there are people who prescribe to the "quality food will get me business" philosophy. The problem as I see it is the other side has much deeper pockets. When a chain restaurant opens up in a particular area, and does not preform as well as expected, they have a better chance of staying open because they have corporate money backing them up. When an individual with quality in mind opens he better be able to attract a crowd right away or he is doomed. I have been in the foodservice industry for 30 years, and you can trust me when I tell you chain restaurants are impacting negatively on quality and authenticity in that industry.

I hear you and I agree with you. This is one of the toughest businesses to succeed. It is also constantly evolving. We've had discussions about this when we talk about different styles in different regions and what comes in and out of fashion. An "in" place one year can easily die the next. Yes, there are kazillions of chains, but I see a LOT of restaurants that do very well by not compromising. Growing up, I definitely was looking for the most calories for the price, but now, life is too short to waste it eating a bad meal. There are a lot of people who feel the way I do. If all the authentic Texas BBQ places go belly up or resort to cooking Johnsonville sausage, there is no doubt in my mind that someone will dig through the old recipes and techniques and open up an authentic restaurant and people will flock to it. Economic times right now are very hard. Couple that with increased regulations and increased food costs on restaurants and owners have to do everything they can to cut costs. It is understandable and expected, and I certainly expect this trend, but I also expect it to turn around when times are better. Regardless, there are always people who will pay for quality.

But, think about what R.L. is saying, that even in Texas, where Hot Guts is the tradition that defined Texas BBQ, they are letting it slip away.

This is true. One reason is because so few people make sausage, even amongst us BBQ nerds. Because of that, very few people have even tried the real stuff, so they don't even know what they're missing.

Until I started really reading about BBQ and trolling, yes TROLLING the forums, like ours, that I gained a true understanding and appreciation for BBQ.

My brother's best friend said to me once, its a waste of time and no different from throwing it on the grill..." (I went off don't worry and explained). But that is when it hit me that so many out there have no idea or clue as to what BBQ is, how many different styles there are, nor the difference between Grilling and Smoking.

Even here in Texas, more and more of our BBQ places are taking short cuts and passing off half @$$ BBQ to people. It drives me nuts.

To name a few:
Dickey's - cheap and quick; I will not eat there.
Spring Creak - good rolls, sauce tastes like its out of a can, and its hit and miss as to toughness.
Soulman's BBQ - Mixed feelings, I've been in there and watched them try to sell me ribs and brisket that was clearly overcooked and I call them out on it.

All of them suffer from a lack of meat flavoring too - I shouldn't have to use a sauce to get flavor.

So I agree - its just sad how many places are getting cheap, lazy, and trying to pass themselves off as good BBQ.

Back