L-P-Que Bbq Championship-$75,000.00

arlieque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Times are changing in BBQ land! We, along with KCBS, are proud to be announcing a different breed of contest. It is the new Competitor Series cook-off that KCBS will support this coming season. Exciting times as the Society allows for the plowing of new ground by edorsing a different style of contest. The new Competitor Series allows an organizer to set some new rules, yet still gain contest backing from the largest sanctioning body in the world. KCBS Reps will oversee the contest so that the revised rules are followed by all the teams involved. A very exciting concept that will bring additional interest to competition bbq and help the sport grow.

So do you want to hear more?

I have been contracted by Sugar Grove Custom Cars, LLC., located in Dallas Center, Iowa, to organize a KCBS Competitor Series BBQ Championship. This contest will be open to teams that use approved LP gas pits. Approval will require the cooking equipment to have electronic ignition, thermostat control capability, and automatic gas shutoff should the flame go out. In otherwords use your gas cooker as it was designed to be used by the manufacturer. We will
cook the usual four main meat categories (Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket) that KCBS has always sanctioned, but in this contest we will eliminate the use of all types of garnish. A simple contest
with simple rules. The contest name will be The L-P-Que BBQ Championship.

The contest will be held in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa on the grounds where the Midwest Old ThreshersReunion is held each year. Check out their site at www.oldthreshers.com. The contest will be held in the main part of the RV Park. The dates are June 15th and 16th, 2007 with provision being made for early arrivals or late departures. The 60 acre RV Park offers 30 and 50 amp electrical service,water, a dump station, restrooms and showers.

Want more exciting news?

Being offered is the largest prize package ever presented in KCBS history at a single contest. The Grand Prize winner will receive a $20,000 Harley Davidson Motorcycle plus $15,000 in cash. This would make the GC prize package of $35,000 also historic! The contest will award over $75,000 in prizes and money. Money will be paid down through 15 places and trophies will be awarded through 5 places. Also, the teams sending in their entries by an early bird registration date will receive raffle tickets for a drawing to win an Ole Hickory CTO gas cooker valued at $6,650!

There will only be a limited number of teams taken, so don't run out of gas before you enter this history making BBQ Championship!!!! To receive more details contact Arlie Bragg at 615-758-8749 or Arlieque@comcast.net. Note: preliminary approval given, but final
approval is pending formal KCBS board action.

Arlie,

This is not directed at you. This makes me a bit nervous. I have spent much money equiping myself to compete in KCBS sponsored events. When I purchased my equipment the KCBS rules were "Wood and /or Charcoal". Now it seems a contest could offer a little more prize money, declare themselves a Competitor Series Cookoff, with the sponsor picking what we cook on and the KCBS will Sanction the contest. If the sponsor says the competitors can compete with gas fired Old Hickory pits only. My large investment in equipment would be useless. Way to go KCBS.......not!

This is a different series and you can keep cooking as you always have, no problems. Nothing has changed!

Arlie

I see it as better spot for the thermostats. :twisted::eusa_clap :eusa_clap

sarcasm> Oh this is the dawning of dark times. Imagine segregation of the cooking field; the gasers over here, the woodies over there. Late night scare tatics by the old school. Severed gas lines... SABATOGE!!!!!!!!!!! The fancy gasers trying to push progression on us wood burners. Are weapons of defence allowed? I'll have to put barbwire around my lot. Bunkers on the front and back. Snipers flanking the sides. A dark age indeed. </end sarcasm

Last edited by a moderator:
:icon_bigsmil Im waiting for parboiling to be legal. Them you will see real bbq.:icon_bigsmil

So, the FIRST "LP based cooker" KCBS contest is also the "largest prize package ever presented in KCBS history at a single contest."

Say what you will, this sends a message.

Easy folks this not the end of BBQ as you know it. There is room in the world for other style of cookers and competition formats.

Wood and charcoal contests will continue to dominate the competition world.

jminion said:
Wood and charcoal contests will continue to dominate the competition world.

Hi Jim, in your opinion: By what measure, and for how long?

(By this I mean, are you saying there will always be more coal contests, or the overall yearly prize pool will be greater, or something else.)

G$
Always... What we do today isn't how it has always been done.
I don't change as a bad thing but the market will dictate way things go.

Jim,

What it is saying to me is that the KCBS is willing to bend the rules for any sponsor who has alot of money.

Are they supplying the pits?

I love ya Arlie but I don't think anyone here uses gas pits and I never even heard of that manufacturer before. The fact that you are promoting means it will probably be a well run contest but I don't see any of the Brethren (and I'm probably way out of line speaking for everyone) buying one of these pits and traveling to Iowa to compete.

The thing I love about competing is that the cooker doesn't matter. It's the cooks skills that count. A guy cooking in a barrel or a WSM could beat a guy cooking on a $20000.00 smoker on any given day. If I'm reading what you posted about the contest correctly, this contest is who can cook the best on this particular gas cooker that we are promoting.

There is a probably a place for contests like this but I don't think the KCBS is the organization that should be sanctioning it.

And it also seems like only the people who afford these smokers are the only people that qualify to win this huge prize. Hardly seems fair.

Again, this is just my opinion and it is not a personal attack.

What's next? Maybe a contest that we can turn in carry out bbq from our favorite restaurants and win!
We can heat it back up in a microwave before turn in time to ensure that the food is hot.

jminion said:
G$
Always... What we do today isn't how it has always been done.
I don't change as a bad thing but the market will dictate way things go.

Agree. Change is not 'bad'. Believe me, I am a 'big picture guy'. I get it. Like I said, KCBS is making a bold statement.

On the other hand, I am glad MLB uses wooden bats. (It's good for the game) I wish pro tennis still mandated Wooden rackets (Game would be a hell of a lot more interesting to watch). And I wish KCBS would stick to wooden fuel sources. :smile:

But what do I know?

I agree that there could be some reason to be wary of change-- hasn't that always been the case throughout history? I'm sure there are plenty of people around that don't even like the idea of charcoal being used in a barbeque competition, and don't even start on pellet poopers and gurus. Wtf is up with that stuff?

Maybe if enough people b**** and moan, the battle can be won, but it seems lots of fights are in danger of being lost. Or, maybe only the 'wealthy' people that mista is talking about will go. Maybe if people don't show up to cook at these contests, they won't happen anymore, right? Or is the money just too much temptation? I have a feeling that they won't have trouble getting people to show up....and maybe that's how it should be.

Maybe some other group, like the barbeque traditionalists of america can be formed so people can still have a place to argue about who's the biggest purist. Whatever happens, I just hope it really remains about cooking. That's what it's all about, right?

Arlie - I wish you a ton of personal success with this endeavor... You are well qualified to pull this off successfully and I know you will..but with that said..... I wonder how soon KCBS is going to need to change their mission statement...

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

I think the key word above. is PRESERVE... To me, the KCBS decision to help support this type of rules for a contest does not preserve and promote barbeque as it was intended to be when KCBS was founded...

For the record, I have no problem with a contest of this type, I just think it sends a mixed message in that KCBS has not fully called out to it's members that this is an adjunct direction in addition to what the members consider KCBS today..KCBS defines BBQ as cooked with wood or charcoal..., should KCBS still call this a BBQ contest or some other name ? To me, it dilutes what BBQ is supposed to stand for in current context of KCBS rules as well as a good portion of it's members, which is different to much of the general public and what KCBS is targeting as a new area.

Bigger organizations, do not necessarily mean better organizations.

Good luck Arlie...

Last edited:
The FDA defines BBQ as cooked over wood or charcoal, and we have all seen how the Feds are out there closing resturants for using gas or electric cooker. Or maybe they set the standards for those very cookers to be used in these commercial applicatons.

There two different divisions, in master division things continue go to on as they have. The market place will decide if contests using gas will last.

Jim - This is not personal, so please don't take it that way. I appreciate the job you do and the level head you always display on key matters !!!!!(Just friendly debate here !!)

I'm not concerned with what the FDA defines BBQ as, I'm concerned with what the organization I belong to defines BBQ as...

Also ... What is this term "Master Division" ? Where would members know about this ?... I don't recall reading about different divisions when all the prospective BOD's were asked their opinions to help make informed decisions on who to vote for... all the questions were about rules, judging/scoring, ability to attend meetings etc. It did not share their thoughts on KCBS decision to broaden their definition of what it was founded on and what future contests should expand to. Seems like this is a priority for KCBS to explore this endeavor,yet little gets put in the Bullsheet or the KCBS website about the thought process behind the BOD decisions to move in this direction and explain how it will benefit the membership... I wonder where the new BOD members who got elected (or who I voted for and did not get elected) stand on this piece ?

I really think it would be good if the KCBS BOD did a better job of at least providing some hints as to what is going on. Just my opinion, but the front page of every Bullsheet should open up with a "Message from the President" in every issue.. I look at the current Bullsheet and there is nothing to be found from anyone on the BOD providing updates on key initiatives...

Last edited:
Back