Smoke flavor.

Hoorenga

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I wish I could go to a BBQ competition and sample all the goods. It would be an education in itself. My question is about the flavor of smoke. I have had some pretty strong, smoky flavored meat in the past. I realize that I can simply cut down on the amount of smoke the meat is exposed to and reduce the smoky flavor. What I'm wondering is what exactly should the smoke taste like? I know there are differences in types of wood but what I'm trying to determine is if my problem is with too much smoke, or the wrong kind of smoke (creosote)?. Does smoke always have an amount of "bite" to it or is that caused by the bad smoke? The roast I did today was a success and was very flavorful but I did detect a bit of a bite in the smoke flavor. Is this normal? I don't mind it unless it gets out of hand like with my brisket a couple of weeks ago. I think I get a little carried away with wanting to see smoke coming out of my chimney all the time. I have been trying to tone it down.

I think I have been decieving myself on the "Thin Blue". I need to make some adjustments. My stack is wide open and I have been varying the fire box baffel to regulate temp. I probably need to open the lower baffel more for a cleaner burn. I try and keep the smoke down but it seems to have a little white in it. It is hard to say but it is not a haze, it is more of a thin smoke. I did some reading on that previous thread and it mentioned something about a problem with adding unlit, Kingsford type coals during the cooking process. Is that a no no? I just chunk a few to the side now and then to keep the heat going.

Keep the chimney wide open. If you need to, adjust the intake baffle, but never close up the chimney. If you have too much heat open up the fire box lid for a little while or even open up the smoke chamber door to let some heat escape until your fire is running at the right temps.

I did some reading on that previous thread and it mentioned something about a problem with adding unlit, Kingsford type coals during the cooking process. Is that a no no?

Bill taught all of us (that didn't already know) the art of "back lighting" in another thread. Keep 6 to 8 unlit briquettes off on the side to back light and drag into the center of your fire to maintain a coal bed. I don't detect a raw burn taste or smell using this method. In fact, for our 4th of July cook, the other two Belly Brothers were using the turkey fryer that we use to light charcoal to fry up some chicken pieces and some turkey fry. I maintained the temp on the competition cooker by using this method. I think we ended up cooking the last 6 hours without firing off a chimney, just using the back lighting method.

Hoo: Read this thread too....you'll see I was one of the biggest rookies ever to visit this site...in fact I was ready to take the 'dera to the scrap metal yard....but the guys here on the forum had me cooking like a champ in no time.
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=780

Hoo, just a few suggestions.

First, start calling your Stillwater a cooker and not a "smoker". Your best quality product will happen on a cook that you never see anything coming out the chimney except the shimmer of exiting heat.

Add additional charcoal and additional wood at alternating intervals. Add the wood 20 mins after the charcoal, that way the charcoal will be at its hottest and produce the cleanest ignition of the wood.

After meats reach an internal temp of 120-140, go to an all charcoal fire. It's more predictable than wood and most smoke abosorbtion has taken place by then anyway.

Use a disposable aluminum cake or lasagna pan over the hotspot to help keep temps even. If you get a temp spike, add some ice or cold water instead of dialing down the damper. If your coalbed runs short and temps drop, add some boiling water. With more practice you'll use the waterpan crutch less and less, eventually you can use it only when you want the extra humidity in the chamber.

Cook as often as you can, brats, sausages, chicken, pork chops etc can all be done for dinner after work and will up the amount of practice you get. "Repetition is the mother of learning", a quote often repeated by my high school history teacher, definitely applies to Q.

Hoo,

Exactly what type of wood are you using? I can't recall smoke having a "bite" even if the meat does have too much smoke. Are you sure that you are using a hardwood?

Re: RE: Smoke flavor.

Bigmista said:
Hoo,

Exactly what type of wood are you using? I can't recall smoke having a "bite" even if the meat does have too much smoke. Are you sure that you are using a hardwood?

Apple and Cherry. I don't think it is the tye of wood. The reason I asked about the flavor of smoke is because I'm thinking that the bite shouldn't be there. I'm guessinging it is from impropper fire control. I need to review my technique and re read procedures. Could be that I'm not finding that "thin blue". I try and keep the smoke to a minimum but I think that at times it may be slightly more white than desirable. I also add cold Kingsford to the outer edges of the fire as it starts to dwindle. I have read that this can be a problem.

Hoorenga said:
Bigmista said:
Hoo,

Apple and Cherry. I don't think it is the tye of wood. The reason I asked about the flavor of smoke is because I'm thinking that the bite shouldn't be there. I'm guessinging it is from impropper fire control. I need to review my technique and re read procedures. Could be that I'm not finding that "thin blue". I try and keep the smoke to a minimum but I think that at times it may be slightly more white than desirable. I also add cold Kingsford to the outer edges of the fire as it starts to dwindle. I have read that this can be a problem.

In my experiance, cherry in particular, can impart a bitter flavor to meat if used in excess, especially the bark. I know there are lots of cherry trees, but the types most prevelant here in central florida are all wild cherries, mostly some version of the Carolina Laural Cherry, or Choke Cherry. Used in moderation, with other smoke woods, they work fine, but can overpower oak or hickory if used in excess. In a long cook, I would never use cherry except for the first load or two.
I have never used wood from sweet or pie cherry trees, so have no knowledge there.

qman

qman said:
Hoorenga said:
Bigmista said:
Hoo,

qman

That could be part of my problem, although I used apple instead of cherry this time, I seem to have the same problem with both. I also don't remove the bark. Seems like it would be a pain in the arse to do. Some folks speak of "removing the bark". Is this really necessary? More and more I think my problem is that I'm producing too much smoke. Over all
I need to tighten up my fire building act but I think it is focusing down to not having the "thin blue". I think I have been fooling myself that "Thin White" is "Thin Blue". This is where it would be nice to see some one else's rig in action.

Doug

RE: Re: RE: Smoke flavor.

Hey Hoo

'bout seeing someone's rig in action...Mine is going now. I would invite you over, but from NorthWest Washington to Central Fla is about as far apart as you can get and still be in the lower 48.

I struggled for a long time before I got the smoke right, almost gave up on cooking on an offset. Of course that was a long time ago, and I did not have the wisdom of all the guys on this forum to tap into.
About removing the bark, some do, some don't. I don't usually with most wood, unless the bark is dirty or otherwise un-apealing.
It might be wise to pick one varity of smoke wood, and stick with it for all your cooking until you get confortable with it. Helps take out the variables, you know.

Hang in there

qman

RE: Re: RE: Smoke flavor.

Hoo, try this too. When you see smoke coming out waft some towards your face and smell it. If it burnes your eyes and nose then you don't want it on your meat. If you want to yank the door open and start eating, then you have the right smoke. I run a smaller fire so I can get less smoke. Usually I have to put chunks in to make a little smoke as it tends to burn without smoke if I preheat the wood.

Back