Competition pork marinade

Hot Sauce Hoss

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I would like to up my scores in pork next year as it has been the worst
catagory for me this season. I am open to ideas from any and all who do well in this catagory and am not asking for someone to spill the beans if
you will but am looking into trying new things. Chicken and brisket have
been my strong points and even gotten calls and some money for the effort this past season but pork has been a killer for me and i am lost as to why. I have ordered a couple of products from smoke on wheels to practice with during the off season for me. My first question would be does anyone use smoke on wheels marinade and if so would you offer to share how you use it, or what you do with it. I cook pork at 300 heavily injected with apple juice and a got rub racked and panned till it hits 155ish
then foiled till 200-205 looking for the color and texture i think will be good for turn in. Taste good to us but the scores are always lacking. Any help or ideas from the brethren would make winter more fun!!!

Thanks for reading
Hot Sauce Hoss :confused:

205 might be a little high, my pork tends to get mushy at that temp. I usually pull off in the 190s somewhere depending on what the pork feels like when I put the thermapen in.
For a flavor bost, consider addiing a marinade when you foil. I do that with pork and brisket and it adds some depth of flavor.

Brett

SOW marinade is quite good. i inject @ 1/2 a bottle per 8# butt. let sit for @ 12 hours. got a 4th place finish with it this past year.

i have also used Kosmo's and got a 5th with that.

Finishing temp depends on how hot you cook, some of my butts finish around 205-210 but i do cook hotter than most. As far as rubs for pork, and let me say that I am sponsored by Simply Marvelous, but I had great success with his rubs before being sponsored. try the cherry and sweet and spicy about a 60-40 mix. Got me a couple trophies and paychecks this year.

Sounds like your meat temps are pretty close for the pit temps you use. We cook our butts @ 300-325...foil around 160-170 (or when I like the color of the bark)...then cambro the first butt when the money muscle is around 190-195 (or when I like the feel)...we cambro the second butt when the middle muscle is 200-210 (or when it's butter). Haven't used the SOW marinade but we have had great success with Kosmo's Pork injection. Good luck! :thumb:

Thank you all for the help, even though it says marinade some of you inject it? Well color me crazy cause i thought you poured it all in a big zip lock bag and put your butt in there for a few hours. So inject half the bottle, marinade a whole bottle, and use half the of the first bottle for when you foil. Am i correct on this method brethren ? I am really thankful for the tips by the way.

Hot Sauce

just inject some and then add some when you foil. 1 bottle and I was able to use on 2 shoulders.

In my opinion, there is no one marinade that does it all for you in this situation.
There are a lot of factors that go into the pork and the cook.

Don't get over hung up on just one marinade becuase others use it. If you buy there marinade your only a percenatge of there success. What about their cook cycle, what about presentation, seasoning, finishing sauce, garnish etc.

You may have to plug some holes elsewhere!

In my opinion, there is no one marinade that does it all for you in this situation.
There are a lot of factors that go into the pork and the cook.

Don't get over hung up on just one marinade becuase others use it. If you buy there marinade your only a percenatge of there success. What about their cook cycle, what about presentation, seasoning, finishing sauce, garnish etc.

You may have to plug some holes elsewhere!

clearly.

but you still need to get to first base.

Oh and I forgot to mention, you get the extra benefit of doing business with two great guys as well!

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

Smoke on Wheels Pork Injection

Plowboys Yardbird

CT Butts

Slice!

DISCLAIMER!

IMG_1680.jpg

Try it on a legal Butt.

Great advice so far. Best advice that I was taught...you need to learn to cook the product first. Then you can start messing with the flavor profile.

We inject, but use our own injection. Consider adding phosphates if you make your own injection. I've tasted a Butchers-injected pork and it was phenomenal...and trust me, it wasn't the cook. :wink:

We inject about 1 oz per pound, using a 12 or 14 guage needle all over the butt.
I cook at lower temps, and try to develop my color before I wrap. I also pull earlier. Are you turning in pulled? chunks? slices? more than one? Do you sauce? do you add during cooking? more info might help us point you in another direction to play with on pork for the winter.

As far as others using our product, there are lots of cooks from all walks, and all BBQ societies using it. Ribs injected down south, Joe outted his usage, Big T's has never made it a secret they use our product, and No secret that Todd (Plowboys) and I cohabitate products during our cooks. The newest team that has been using it of late, is an FBA team that has been tearing it up in both KCBS and FBA (RGC Plant City), (GC in Sebring this weekend!) Fatt Ashes BBQ - they have been nailing pork!

There are some others I know using it, but don't want to 'out' anyone that wouldn't want folks to know how or what they do with my product. shoot me an email, I am happy to go through other questions on pork with you...

Back