"Holiday Ribs"

ccarter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thought I'd try a couple different tastes on some ribs. The left one is Grillmates Sweet and Smokey rub, and the right one is Plowboy's Yardbird. Both are dry rubbed and I plan to put Agave sweetener on both of them in about 2.5 hours. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355427615.691943.jpg

I've used the Sweet & Smokey before. Not bad. You'll definitely taste the cinnamon... Cheers!!!

I have tried the sweet and smoky rub. Not enough heat for me. I usually grind up some peppers and add to the rub.

You didn't say what taste you were looking for! They both will be taste!!!

I've had the GM Sweet and Smokey sitting in my cabinet for a while. It always smells good, but I had never tried it (someone gave it to me). It ended up being pretty hot for my family's taste, and the cinnamon just isn't right. The Yardbird was pretty good. It had a little heat, but it wasn't overpowering. I was definitely happy with the ribs that had Yardbird on them. Overall, they tasted pretty good, and as far as appearance goes they were by far the best looking ribs I've ever done.

Now for the rest of the pics! (Sorry, the pics are from my phone. I was being lazy.)

I love watching the smoke roll off the umbrella.
null.jpg

3 hours in before the glaze.
null-1.jpg

First time trying the Agave. It's pretty good.
null-8.jpg

After the glaze.
null-2.jpg

Out of the smoker after about 4 hours, and after passing the toothpick test.
null-4.jpg

Let them sit for 15 minutes, and then it's time to cut!
null-5.jpg

There's no sauce in any of the pictures because we prefer to put the sauce in a squeeze bottle on the table and let everyone sauce to their liking.

Looks great, I can almost smell those ribs! Did they taste very sweet with the agave nectar on them? What temp were you cooking at? Thanks.

Looks great, I can almost smell those ribs! Did they taste very sweet with the agave nectar on them? What temp were you cooking at? Thanks.

The nectar was fairly noticeable. Raw nectar isn't quite as strong as some of the more processed ones, so I think overall it was a good addition. It's a little sweeter than honey, and a LOT less thick. I just got done cleaning up some of those drippings off the porch because I didn't realize how easy it would run. I was expecting the consistency of honey or squeeze butter.

I did a write up for a friend last night, so here's the story behind the cook:

Dry rubbed 4 hours prior to cook (Grillmates' Sweet and Smokey (not that great) on one and Plowboy's Yardbird (excellent) on the other. 4 hours on the Backwoods Smoker over Royal Oak Lump plus about 4 chunks of applewood. 3 of those hours at 225*. At the three hour mark I lightly glazed them with agave nector (like honey, but sweeter and not as thick), and raised the temp to 250*. It took probably 30 minutes to get up to 250*. At that point (3:30 mark), I put on another glaze of agave nector and let them finish the 4 hour cook. Once pulled, they sat uncovered for 15 minutes before cutting.

I planned for it to be about 4 hours based on past cooks on that smoker (insulated vertical water smoker with reverse flow). I used the toothpick test to determine when to actually pull them.

Also, I'm waiting on some parts so I can use a proper pit probe for temp. I used the probe on the front for temp control. It's a Tel-true probe, so it's at least fairly accurate, and I put the ribs on the rack closest to that probe (3rd rack down I think).

Oh one more thing: In all honesty, they probably could've cook for another 30 minutes. They passed the toothpick test, but I think the connective tissue and fat could've rendered just a little more.

Cool, thanks. I agree agave nectar does seem a little sweeter than honey but definely lacks that honey taste. It's good to doctor up sauces with too as you just pour a little in as needed. My smokin temps lately have been around 275* and I do think that extra heat helps break down fat much better than 250* or lower.

Looks good, I have been planning to experiment with the agave nectar for while now, I need to get to it. Sounds like it's a great option.

Looks good, I have been planning to experiment with the agave nectar for while now, I need to get to it. Sounds like it's a great option.

I think it's a nice addition. The bottle I used was about $6 at Kroger, and that picture was taken AFTER I used it on the ribs. I was amazed how little I needed. It'll add a little cost to your cook, but not by much at all considering how long that bottle will probably last. The sweet taste was noticeable but didn't come anywhere near overpowering the other flavors.

Back