Insomnia Mod - Sunday's Cook

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well I just typed myself sober, so I went down and grabbed 6 pork steaks out of the freezer.

Gonna put them in Dales Marinade for 30 min.

What you all cooking today (when you farkers wake up that is)

Pork-a-palooza at ol' KC's house today. 2 slabs BB's, 2# Jimmy Dean, 2 1 1/2" pork chops (soaking in apple juice overnight per ckkphoto) and a 5# pork loin. Also on the menu au gratin yukon gold potatoes and succotash.

Freezer is getting a little empty so so gonna cook a little today--got 4
racks of beef ribs, 3 racks of spares(trimmed), a bus tub with a bunch of
yardbird parts marinating and a big pack of butt chunks!! All have been
sitting seasoned over nite just waiting for me to fire up the BWS Comp.
The weather is nice here in the middle of Wis---55° already with some
dampness in the air.

And of course iffen you are in the neighborhood---meat will be done later
this afternoon!

Damn I need to move....

i had a few buddies over for cooking school.(ok, i was showin off/showing em up/ ego trippin :oops: ). Last week we were talking and they insisted they made great BBQ and ribs.... But while talking, their recipe included boiling the ribs and putting them in the grill. I invited them over to "share" and have a few brews. Not giving away what they were about to experience... Then when they showed up in the yard, it was "holy shi*t". whats all that stuff?? BYC, Bandera, Black diamond, smokey mountain... etc..... Now they know the difference between what they were doing and real BBQ. They made their ribs on the Big DCS...., I made mine in the BYC, all Hickory and Cherry. They started theres at 3, done around 430...... slopped with BBQ sauce....... 3 racks each... mine went in at noon, out a little after 4..... little dreamland to dip but no one did... My slabs are gone.. they each took 2 slabs each of theres home.

made believers out of them... They're headed to our site now, so go easy on them... :) :mrgreen:

Asked Bill to join in, but he was busy doing "other things".

Cookin along quite nicely.Found out real quick that the thermometer on the main chamber happens to be placed at the absolutely coolest part of the chamber.

I got her up to 225 threw averything in watched it come up to about 250 and hold around there or a little higher. I thought oh well it'll drop back to 225 soon. About 20 min. later it was back down to 225. Time to do some mopping. I opened upt the door and the 4 chickens right at the temp gauge looked just like they should. the chicken parts above them were almost done in only an hour. The ribs were looking like they needed wrapped already and the peanuts were butnt to a crisp. Peanuts were the only loss.

I threw the ribs into the upright portion to stop the serious cooking they had taken, but still wrapped at 2. Will probably end up being a 2-1-1 on those. Chicken parts came off at 1 and a half hours and were fantastic. new batch of peanuts thrown on and temp running lower now.

I love it, and now I have that all fun learning curve thing again.

Greg some rules to satrt with regarding Temp variations. yours would be a little different than mine cause your horizontal is a little longer, but....

back to center on the bottom shelf is 40 degrees cooler than the thermo. Top shelves slight higher than the thermo. I keep my thermo around 260 knowing the food is about 220. top shelfs would be around 260-270. Closest to the firebox near the hotspot, about 50 degrees hotter than the thermo.

I just keep the thermo around 250-260, and move the food around based on what I want..

Temps in the vertical are pretty even all around. BUT,a nd a BIG But.. Verytical, with the baffle installed 50-75 degrees cooler than the horizontal, remove the baffle and its 25 degrees cooler. I have just strted using the vertical for cooking. Does and excellent job on beer can chickens and whole turkeys.

And another thing i learned after a year of experimenting. Remove the baffle and the bottom shelf of the vertical is really just and extension of the horitontal chamber. Great place to finish ribs.

parrothead said:
I love it, and now I have that all fun learning curve thing again.

Wish I had that curve

I'm doing some beer cans on the webber

Today be rainen all day. Yesterday was great tho. Smoke-roasted 3 lbs nut in a hot teriaki marinade and a pak of italin sausage. Once that stuff was done, cut up sausage onions & green peppers for 2 smoked grilled pizzas.

Everyone really liked the pizzas. Gonna be fun making pizza this summer with all the fresh peppers, onions and stuff I'm growing.

After all that farking arounf with temp spikes and all, it started to rain. Everything was done but the ribs. I pulled everything out and finished the ribs in the oven. These were the best ribs I have ever made. I didn't even think about saucing them. They blew me away.

parrothead said:
After all that farking arounf with temp spikes and all, it started to rain. Everything was done but the ribs. I pulled everything out and finished the ribs in the oven. These were the best ribs I have ever made. I didn't even think about saucing them. They blew me away.

New cooker nirvana. 8)

willkat98 said:
BBQchef33 said:
Asked Bill to join in, but he was busy doing "other things".

Marriage Repair Mod

And its going much better.

Shove her mouth full of peanuts, that ought to stop the bitchin' for a little while!

Peace Buyer Mod

Back