Question about Maverick Remote Smoker Thermometer (ET-73)

cgwaite

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have two ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometers that I love. On a recent cook, I guess I fried the probes for one of the thermometers, as it now reads HHH. :mad:

A quick check in Maverick's website indicates that the probe is now more than likely bad. I am sure that I did something wrong that caused this failure, so I have ordered two more sets. :roll: What I need to know is how do I protect my probes from this sort of damage in the future? The website mentioned the use of foil, but didn't say what specifically to do with the foil or what specifically to wrap. Do any of you use foil to protect your leads? If so, how?

Since the leads that I have are wire-braided, am I correct to assume that if any portion of that braid comes in contact with hot metal (like a cooking grate or the side of a hot cooker) that it might cause this sort of failure, or at a minimum a false temp reading? If that is the case, will I need to drill an access hole for my leads into the side of my WSM and if I do that, what will I use as a grommet to protect the lead from the surrounding heat?

I really do like the ET-73s and want to use them properly so I can get the most accurate usage and longevity out of them as possible. Thanks, in advance for your replies.

will I need to drill an access hole for my leads into the side of my WSM and if I do that, what will I use as a grommet to protect the lead from the surrounding heat?

Check out the Guru eyelets. They work great!! I've had no problems using my ET-73 with this setup on my WSM. Installation should take 15-20 min for a first timer.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=136

Good luck

Back