HomeBBQ Competition Cooking Class

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Kevin and Clara are giving a comp cooking class in Dothan on 9/30/06 and 10/01/06 at Dothan, AL.
Cost will be $250 for 1 student or $400 for 2 students sharing the meat.

Kevin and Clara are the dominate team in the FBA with Team Of the Year awards for 2003/2004/2005
They were even 7th in KCBS TOTY in 2004 and that was cooking only the few KCBS events in the SE that year.

I had the pleasure of cooking with Kevin at Starke, FL. last fall. He is the master of the process. He makes everything so simple even a dummy like me can follow :lol:

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14712&highlight=starke

Registration form attached.

Y'all in the SE need to jump on this.
Noah-ya watching?? :lol:

TIM

Attachments

• HomeBBQClass.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 34
That sounds great, wished they would do a class in the middle of the world, K.C.,Chicago,DES MOINES., i could use a good educational session.

Tim
I helped Kevin set this class up because I have wanted to learn from him for a while. The fairgrounds has an area with full RV hookups and with bathrooms and showers onsite. The class should fill up soon so act quickly if interested.
Walt

I have no personal involvement in this class.

But, I understand it is filling up fast.
For once :lol:

If any Brothers want in............

TIM

Man, I wish I could have heard about this a few weeks ago. I'm already booked out for those dates. I'd love to get up there and take that class. Maybe when/if they get another one together back home closer, I'll be able to get there. There might be one come around in Lakeland area in February from another well known cooker if the stars fall into the proper alignment.

Talked with Kevin late last week and he had 14 signed up . There is still room for more. Sept 1st is deadline.
Walt

Well, the entry deadline has passed for this class.

I bet the lucky ones attending learn a "whole bunch".

Kevin and Clara know how to win.

TIM

Kevin is a great guy and I am sure everyone can learn lots from him and his wife. If I were closer I would attend his class at whatever the cost going in it is well worth the effort and the knowlege taken out. hope all who partake have a great learning experence. I know I could use the help.

Scotty D

The_Kapn said:
Well, the entry deadline has passed for this class.

I bet the lucky ones attending learn a "whole bunch".

Kevin and Clara know how to win.

TIM

Thx Tim (and Scott),

Still taking last minute registrations... I will cut it off soon though, we now have 26 registered, and I will cut it off around 30..

Just came home from "Saturday night grub" at Kevin's class.

Walt (Pork Avenue) cooked this huge farkin' pot of Shrimp Boil. Must have been 30 (plus) gallons. Pulled the colander insert out and poured it onto a 6' table about 6 inches deep. It never had a chance--gone in 20 minutes :lol:
Forgot my camera. Will try to get some pics from Rub, Walt, or someone. Unbelievable.

One of the students made bread pudding that was to die for. POOF--It disappeared also.

Seems that all is going well. They finish noon time or so tomorrow. Running it just like a comp on comp schedule.

Don't know if they are learning anything, but darn sure eating good :lol:

TIM

Tim
I'm glad you came up to visit. Kevin gave a fantastic class and answered everyone's questions. And yes we did eat very well from Friday night through Sunday.
I highly recommend Kevins classes to everyone as they come up in the Future.
Hope to see and meet whoever might be going to Douglas Ga in November.

Walt
PORK AVENUE BBQ

I'll throw in my 2 cents here and agree with Walt and Tim: if ya missed it this time, don't let it happen again. Good stuff! 8)

Hey, Rub! Good to see you here. By the way, did I see your canopy at the Winter Haven bike night?

Thanks Chad!

You may have seen us there at some point. We've probably done it a half dozen times in the past year. There is a chance we'll be there this month. Do you come over for them often?

Rub said:
Thanks Chad!

You may have seen us there at some point. We've probably done it a half dozen times in the past year. There is a chance we'll be there this month. Do you come over for them often?

I haven't made it Winter Haven, but have been to Plant City. I was watching Brighthouse 47 the other day with the "local" bike TV show and they panned the strip in Winter Haven and I thought I saw your banner. How big a hassle is vending at one of those events? I've thought about doing Plant City and Winter Haven isn't too much farther.

You going to make it to Brooksville on the 13/14 of October? I'm judging that one - I've been a bit lazy this year getting my judging duty done.:-D

Dang, now I'm confused: is it Chad or Dave? :icon_blush:

Oh yeah, I'll be at Brooksville. Gotta cook all the FBAs that I can for points.

It's not too bad to vend at the WH Fest. Last one we did it rained and all I did was barely cover my costs. I'll never get rich, but we do have fun and make some good catering contacts. I'll have to tell my "Swamp Babes" that they may have been on TV. :cool:

Hey Tim, thanks for coming by, and especially for the buscuits and gravy... Special thanks to Walt, this would not have happened without him, and thanks to Rub for helping me throughout the class... We had a great time, and look forward to doing this again...

A couple of Pics courtesy Rub's web site at www.swampboys.com.

They are of Kevin pondering a student's rib question (or something like that :lol: ) and Walt's shrimp boil to die for.

TIM

Attachments

• Shrimp Boil.jpg
    Shrimp Boil.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Kevin and ribs.jpg
    Kevin and ribs.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
Rub said:
Dang, now I'm confused: is it Chad or Dave? :icon_blush:

Oh yeah, I'll be at Brooksville. Gotta cook all the FBAs that I can for points.

It's not too bad to vend at the WH Fest. Last one we did it rained and all I did was barely cover my costs. I'll never get rich, but we do have fun and make some good catering contacts. I'll have to tell my "Swamp Babes" that they may have been on TV. :cool:

"Chad" is my forum screen name!!:-D I got tagged back during the 2000 presidential elections!!

I'll see you at Brooksville...by the way, good luck!

Back