MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #181
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
I asked this earlier but got no response..is it normal to hit all the tables with the same group of teams here is an example from last weekend in Az..we hit every table with the same teams except 1 team on pork and brisket..does this happen every time?
Hi Matt,
The fewer number of tables, the more likely it will happen. There were only 5 tables at your AZ contest so not much opportunity for switching around among the table captains.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #182
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
Anyone get a new printout yet?..thoughts?
I like it! Here's a pic of our pork sheet from yesterday...small contest...only two tables.

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #183
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I find the sheets to be quite informative, don't get me wrong, however, I think they rushed putting the program out, considering training for it occurred the second week of July. According to the mp3 of the July BOD meeting..... With 6 votes for and 4 votes against on July 10th that the program be officially used starting on the 11th, that doesn't seem to give contest reps an ample amount of time to get accustomed to the program. According to the meeting mp3, the reps have had the program for 2 months prior to the training, but, what good does that really do? If you're not trained on it, how do you practice with it???

They've been working on it for three years, what would have been the problem to wait 19 more days and start it on August 1st? Not everyone is as computer savvy as the technology committee.

www.TheSlabs.com

Last edited by Diva; 07-22-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #184
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

We had our fist experience with the new score sheets this past weekend. I do like the additional information - HOWEVER - our scores were wrong and the score of at least one other team was wrong.

Here were the issues with our scores:
1. If you add up the 5 highest individual judges scores for pork the total is 162.24. When you look at the Pork scoring sheet the total shows 163.9544. The score for Judge 2 is wrong.
2. When you look at the pork score on the overall sheet it says 162.8000 – No idea where that came from.
3. The Team Detail Report shows we were on table 4 for pork – the pork score sheet shows we were on table 7.

There was another team that won Ribs with a 178.8572 but they actually should have had a 180!! 5 Judges gave them 999.

Bottom Line - Check your new score sheets CAREFULLY!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #185
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
We had our fist experience with the new score sheets this past weekend. I do like the additional information - HOWEVER - our scores were wrong and the score of at least one other team was wrong.

1. If you add up the 5 highest individual judges scores for pork the total is 162.24. When you look at the Pork scoring sheet the total shows 163.9544. The score for Judge 2 is wrong.
2. When you look at the pork score on the overall sheet it says 162.8000 – No idea where that came from.
3. The Team Detail Report shows we were on table 4 for pork – the pork score sheet shows we were on table 7.

There was another team that won Ribs with a 178.8572 but they actually should have had a 180!! 5 Judges gave them 999.

Great. (sarcasm)

Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #186
bdawgbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Anyone have input on how to use this sheet to improve your product? We just finished our first comp and left scratching our heads after seeing a 5 and 9 in a single category.
bdawgbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #187
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:

Which contest was this????

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #188
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

We too had the issue with #3. I sent the entire Board an email this morning.

www.TheSlabs.com

Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #189
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa RnQ View Post
Which contest was this????
Glasgow, Missouri

www.TheSlabs.com

Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #190
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

So the new scoring system is getting scores wrong, tables wrong, and the judge tracking system may be tracking the wrong judges? Huh

Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #191
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oig2scout View Post
I like it, I had great ribs and was the #1 on that table but they trashed everyone on the table. Looking over the other categories with one exemptions they beat up on all their boxes. Proves the long held theory..."sometimes it IS the table you end up on!
Last weekend I won my rib table by over 7 points, but ended up 16th of 32. That table placed 16, 23, 29, 30, 31, 32. I'm sure it's possible that the four worst boxes ended up on one table, but not real likely. But, hey, I will spend more time on the boxes that fell in the bottom half of the table and not worry as much about ribs.

I do like the format. While more information will give us more reasons to bitch, the table ranking and ability to see average table scores will help me know were I need to improve and what was probably just a gift table or bad table.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #192
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawgbbq View Post
Anyone have input on how to use this sheet to improve your product? We just finished our first comp and left scratching our heads after seeing a 5 and 9 in a single category.
One thing I would look at is how each judge ranked you on the table. If a couple have you at the top and a couple have you at the bottom it could mean that you have a flavor profile that doesn't appeal to everyone or there were problems with a couple of samples. Cooks always think that every sample is the same, but they are not.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #193
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
Last weekend I won my rib table by over 7 points, but ended up 16th of 32. That table placed 16, 23, 29, 30, 31, 32. I'm sure it's possible that the four worst boxes ended up on one table, but not real likely. But, hey, I will spend more time on the boxes that fell in the bottom half of the table and not worry as much about ribs.

I do like the format. While more information will give us more reasons to bitch, the table ranking and ability to see average table scores will help me know were I need to improve and what was probably just a gift table or bad table.
Your rib average for the year is 163 (four contests from scoreCard) and you scored a 161.68 in that contest. Your highest score for ribs all year is a 165 ... I would work on ribs too.
Not trying to be hard on you just pointing out the misconception of the "table from hell".

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #194
BrotherInArms
On the road to being a farker

I agree with Kit. Let the judges draw a number out of a hat. Whatever number they draw that's the table they sit at period.Then it is truly the "Luck of the Draw" just like it is for us cooks when we turn in our entry.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #195
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmericanBBQ View Post
I agree with Kit. Let the judges draw a number out of a hat. Whatever number they draw that's the table they sit at period.Then it is truly the "Luck of the Draw" just like it is for us cooks when we turn in our entry.
And when the random selection puts three Masters on one table and three virgins on another, what then?
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote