MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
all about the que
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First Time Pork Loin

This is my first time trying to smoke a pork loin. I have a 4.5 lb pork loin ready to cook this weekend. I have no idea what temp or time to cook it at. I have my rub picked out. Any tips out there? Should I wrap it half way through? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
all about the que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Pork loins don't take very long. I cook mine at 325-350, usually with a little cherry or apple wood for smoke. Cook to an IT of 135 pull and rest for 10-20 minutes and you are ready to go. I'm thinking cook time at that temp is somewhere around an hour to an hour and a half, just guessing at that though as I've never actually timed it.

KC

Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

I usually cook at the same temp as code3. Try cutting into a couple pieces so you get more end cuts

No brine or wrap necessary, either....

Last edited by daninnewjersey; 09-05-2017 at 08:46 AM..
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Check to see if the meat has been enhanced (injected with a saline solution). If so, cook as above. if not, I would brine it to enhance the moisture. I use 1/2 cup Morton Kosher Salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup soy saue and some of whatever rub I use on the loin mixed in a gallon of water. You don't really need a gallon for a 4 lb. loin so cut it all in half. Brine for an hour per pound, rinse and dry and let it equalize in the fridge for another hour per pound.

for rub, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion are good. Some herbs, like a poultry seasoning mix, are also a nice addition. For store bought rubs I use Plowboy BBQ's Yardbird a lot.

BTW, I cook loins at 275 until they hit 135-140 internal, rest and slice.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

If you pull from a 275 smoker at 135-140....How much carry over will there be? and do these same temps apply when cooking a smaller tender loin?

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

A great way i found is cut a few medallions the width of a strip of bacon then wrap with the bacon use a few tooth pics to hold it in place smoke for about 1-1.5 hours at 225-250 then wrap with a little butter and just a hint of BBQ sauce put back on smoker for 1 hour flip half way thru .....they are awesome just my 2 cents
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote