MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Default Split pea soup recipe please

I'm just going to get a jump on thing here. I know I'm going to have leftovers from Easter ham and would like to make some homemade soup. I have cruised the net but nothing sounds that good. Does anyone have a recipe they would share for Split pea soup. It doesn't need to be healthy just good. Thanks ya'll

Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

No real trick to it..

Soak split peas overnight, rinse well. Cover peas 1 inch above top with ham or chicken broth. bring to boil, the reduce to low and add ham bone, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes add chopped celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary to taste. Add more chicken broth or water if necessary

As peas disintegrate into soup, remove bone and add cubed ham, season to taste. Left over cubed potatoes may also be added if desired, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with croutons.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

16 ounces split peas
3 quarts water
1 ham shank or 4 ham hocks
1 large onion -- chopped
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
4 medium potatoes -- peeled and cubed

Combine peas, water, ham shank or hocks, onion, bouillon and seasonings.
Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove shank, trim meat from bone, and
return to pot. Stir in carrots, celery and potatoes. Cover and simmer 2-2
1/2 hours.

You can also use chicken stock instead of water and bouillon cubes. The wife does this in a crock pot all day and it comes out mighty tasty.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Phubar

Budman's recipe sounds good...make sure you use hammocks and when the soup is done the spoon should stand up right.
Here's Padawan's version: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=pea+soup

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Can I use frozen peas vs. dried peas for these recipes? Phubar Hammocks? LOL BTW thanks guys

Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

No real need to soak split peas, they'll soften up just fine. I make a stock out of the ham bone, then strain it. Then boil 1 1lb bag of peas with a bay leaf, a teaspoon of thyme and a half teaspoon of curry powder in a quart of stock for about a half hour. Then remove the bay leaf and put the soup in the blender until smooth, put back in the pan and add ham chunks and a can of stewed tomatoes. salt and pepper to taste. Add more stock to reach desired consistency as well as additional spices if needed. If you don't' have a ham bone for stock, chicken broth works just fine.
The addition of tomatoes makes this version something called "Chppewa", which may be a regional thing or something my wife's family made up, but it's really good.

And yes, you can use frozen peas. It will have a bit brighter color and flavor, which I sometimes prefer.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

I render down some bacon trimmings and remove the gristly pieces from the pan.
Saute off some cubed bacon / ham or both and remove to a plate.
Add some diced onions and garlic to the pan and sweat off for a bit.
Add some split red lentils and coat in the fat.
Top the pan up with veg stock and simmer - do not boil!
Cook and cook and cook....you cannot really overcook lentils, you want them to be soft, mushy and disintegrate into the stock to thicken it.
You may need to add more stock as you go.
Once thick and unctous add in the cooked, cubed bacon / ham turn the heat off and leave to sit for 30mins or so.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
Can I use frozen peas vs. dried peas for these recipes? Phubar Hammocks? LOL BTW thanks guys

Lol!
I guess I meant ham hocks...or shanks.
Sorry for the conPhusion.

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador

Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
Use dried, and as stated above, no need to soak the dried peas, they will soften up just fine on a couple hour cook.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default the old dutchman's peasoup

2 large onions chopped
7-8 bay leaves
1 leek, cut in small rings
2 Tblsp olive oil
1 ham bone with some good meat on it (left over from spiral cut ham or similar..)
1 or 2 pigs feet - halved lenghtwise
1 smoked sausage (Eckrich)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce or more to taste
2 beef bouillon cubes (Knorr)
1 Tblsp cloves
2 Tblsp dried parsely
1 Tblsp dried oregano
1/4 cup of maple sirup
pepper and salt to taste
2 lbs split peas

Freshly baked Baguette.

Take a very large pot and sautee the chopped up onions with the Bay leaves and leek in olive oil until the onions are browned and carmelized a bit.

Drop in the ham bone and the pigs feet and fill the pot with water until all is covered - add the bouillon cubes, cloves, maple sirup, parsely and oregano -
Bring to a boil and the turn down the heat and let it simmer for 2 hours with the cover partly on.

Take out the ham bone, pull the meat from it, shred it and return the meat to the pot. Discard the ham bone.

Now wash the split peas and dump them in the pot - add the whole smoked sausage - stir and let slowly simmer for another hour or so.
Bring up to taste with the Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt.

Serve hot with some slices of freshly baked Baguette on the side to sop in the soup.

note: since this makes quite a big pot - I normally add another smoked sausage to the left overs....
and this stuff freezes real well - as portions in plastic containers also
for a quick meal when you do not feel like cooking - just heat up in the microwave !

Last edited by GARNAAL; 03-30-2013 at 02:30 PM..
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Trotters!!! Now you're talking!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Phubar

Totally right Garnaal...pig Pheet are the way to go in a traditional Dutch "snert".

*WGA Ambassador

Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Found this on the interwebs a while back(forgot where), easy to make in teh slow cooker.

Cook Time: 8 hours
Ingredients:
1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
1 1/2 qts. hot water
Preparation:
Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.