MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoking fish on a WSM, Bad?

I've heard some people say that smoking fish on a WSM leaves some sort of an aftertaste on the smoker. So I just have never done it.
But watching Bobby Flay's BBQ Addiction show recently, he smoked some trout on one.
What's up with that? Do any of you smoke fish on a WSM?
Thanks for the feedback!
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Do it, Don.
I've done Salmon on my drum a few times (not cold smoked) and it turned out GREAT! Had no issues with any "after taste". If the fish is fresh, there sould be no smell at all.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I smoke fish all the time in my UDS. Never a problem with it affecting the taste of the next cook. Do it, smoked fish is great

Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

I've done hot smoked salmon on my WSM with no trace of the fishy funk afterwards.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I personally would not cook Salmon on on any of my WSM's that I would be using in competition. The Salmon is a pretty oily fish and I've judged comp meats that were cooked on WSM's the next day after a Salmon side category and the smell and after taste were really prevalent. And we have some Head Judges that bring that up at Cooks meetings too.
If it were my only cooker, I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal seeing I could clean it out after each smoke, or if I did a lot of fish I'd have a dedicated fish smoker. (Little Cheif)
Bobby Flay likely used a demo bullet for the show. Trout isn't as oily as Salmon, he was likely hot smoking and it didn't take all that long to cook.

Give it a try, foil the pan and oil the grate so the skin won't stick, and you be the judge.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
troytime
Full Fledged Farker

i've done it several times without problem.

i think any smell or flavor that happens on your next cooks likely come from drippings that are remnant in the charcoal or near the charcoal.
troytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Well I know when I cook brisket, it definitely leaves an aroma behind, never tried fish though. I don't think Harry Soo recommends if I recall, but I'm sure whatever is left behind is not permanent.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

My BIL's kettle smells like alder smoked salmon, but, the smell does not seem to get on any of the other meats. Not sure what the deal is, I assume salmon fat is in there somehow, but, does not get on the meat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Just wash it out after you smoke fish.

Simple solution.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote