Keri's Hog Apple Beans

Yelonutz brought these beans to the Nor Cal Bash in October. They had been frozen and I sure couldn't see any effects of the freeze. They were amazing.

I have the supplies for a big batch for the Las Vegas Bowl BBQ Bash at my house next Saturday.

These bean are awesome my family loves them thanks Keri. have made them a few times.

BIG hit at my event last night. I am not a big fan of baked beans so when i finished them i was a little disappointed in them. I thought they were like every other beans I have ever had only that these tasted like beans with blues hog. I followed the recipe to a T and the only thing i cut down on was the blues hog go figure. The people who ate them thought differently. A little back round, the rest of the food was prepared by a a guy who is an excellent cook. The stuff he made last night was almost like being at home or at my mom's. He was getting hounded about the beans so he decided to send anybody who asked over to me since he received so many compliments about them. The rest of the evening i ended up discussing baked beans. :twisted:I left some at home so i could serve them at Christmas dinner next week. I do not want to risk the chance of discussing them again on Christmas so i am going to give them to my neighbors instead:rolleyes:

BIG hit at my event last night. I am not a big fan of baked beans so when i finished them i was a little disappointed in them. I thought they were like every other beans I have ever had only that these tasted like beans with blues hog. I followed the recipe to a T and the only thing i cut down on was the blues hog go figure. The people who ate them thought differently. A little back round, the rest of the food was prepared by a a guy who is an excellent cook. The stuff he made last night was almost like being at home or at my mom's. He was getting hounded about the beans so he decided to send anybody who asked over to me since he received so many compliments about them. The rest of the evening i ended up discussing baked beans. :twisted:I left some at home so i could serve them at Christmas dinner next week. I do not want to risk the chance of discussing them again on Christmas so i am going to give them to my neighbors instead:rolleyes:
Hey Sled one question about those beans......

Would like to try these Christmas eve. What would be the closest off the shelf substitute for the Blues Hog Sauce? If there is such a thing :mrgreen:. I'll have to order some to try after the holidays. I have most of Dizzy Pigs rubs. Any suggestions here.

Would like to try these Christmas eve. What would be the closest off the shelf substitute for the Blues Hog Sauce? If there is such a thing :mrgreen:. I'll have to order some to try after the holidays. I have most of Dizzy Pigs rubs. Any suggestions here.
I use sweet Baby Rays or Kc masterpiece. No Blues hog around here.

Sounds like a plan. I'll sub Dizzy Dust for the rub, and smoke up a fattie for the meat. Thanks

I didn't use Keri's recipe (didn't know about it back then) but I put apple pie filling in my baked/smoked beans at Grand Rapids, Michigan last year and took 4th or 5th place with it. That's good stuff to add to beans no doubt!

I've made these on three different occasions so far, and they have played to rave reviews and clean serving dishes each and every time.

I've been told I have to bring a lot more to next year's potluck at work because the people that tried them want more, and there are a number of folks that by the time they heard about them and went to get some, they were gone!

I'll be cooking up a batch on Sat to serve on Sunda for dinner and I can't wait to eat them. This will be the 3rd time I have made them and I always get a gooreview with the. Thanks Keri.

Upon Ashmont's request, I scaled the recipe to feed about 300. Here ya go, Ash!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Keri's Hog-apple Baked Beans - 12 Industrial Cans, for 300 People

Recipe By : Keri C
Serving Size : 300 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 Pounds bacon -- diced (3 - 4 lb)
12 112-oz Cans Bush's baked beans -- (twelve 112-oz cans)
3 quarts Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
24 pounds smoked leftover smoked pork or beef -- more or less
24 20-oz cans apple pie filling (or equivalent industrial-sized cans)
24 medium onions -- chopped
12 Green Peppers -- chopped
12 cups brown sugar
3 cups Worcestershire sauce
3 cups Mustard (prepared)
8 tablespoons chipotle or cayenne powder (optional -- to taste*)
24 teaspoons Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325Âş for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Should make about 13 half pans or 6-7 full pans.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
Cooking comp as HOT WIRE BBQ

FYI... (just to simplify -- not being a jerk)

8 Tbsp = 1/2 cup
24 tsp = 1/2 cup

Now all you need is a steel smelting kettle to cook them in. :shock: :-D

John

smelting_equipment_clip_image002_0000.jpg

Can't beat these beans folks, its something to say that at a picnic these beans will be the talk of the meal, not the actual meat you cook. Ya they are that good.

Just want to add one more voice to the praises for this recipe, every time I've made them the compliments were unending. I do use the peaches mentioned though rather than the apples... Thanks Keri!

Ok, now I gotta go make me some. Just copied the recipe off and saved it. Thanks Keri...:p

I always have to give out the recipe when I make 'em. Good stuff!

Something to think about use real bacon bits instead of frying bacon. It works good for me

Keri's beans is all I cook anymore. I get nothing but raves. And I give you credit too, Keri! The credit is all yours; I had nothing to do with it.

LOL, I can just imagine having 24 pounds of left over smoked meat. I think I will stick to the original size recipe.

Back