Got a Thai charcoal cooker

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
While picking up a 20" wok at The Wok Shop to use in my XL BGE, I found this Thai charcoal cooker:
62EED97C-7D47-43C2-94E2-01410CC649B0-621-000000FF25AD0950_zps339ffb8a.jpg

I'd seen a similar cooker earlier in some posts elsewhere by Brethren member Woodmonkey and he recommended them for wok cooking. When I saw this cooker in person I had to get it.

I've been having fun with it and with some different recipes! I tried my 12" wok on it with K briquettes and found the heat a little lacking (even after removing the insert to allow more air in under the Wok):
IMG_0259_zps461b6905.jpg

IMG_0265_zps4fac607a.jpg

Experimented using some hanging tender(hanger steak) meat instead of flank (won't do this again - too tender & texture didn't seem right):
IMG_0267_zps12736cc4.jpg

Put my 10" CI grate from my Mini BGE onto the cooker & seared the last of the hanging tender:
IMG_0271_zpsbc0f5fa4.jpg

We enjoyed the grilled hangar steak with the meal:
IMG_0278_zpseb1945f9.jpg

I've found lump burns hotter in the cooker and have no problems keeping my. 16" wok hot:
IMG_4344_zpscb5495ba.jpg

Chicken, shallots, fermented black bean sauce, & asparagus:
IMG_4345_zpsf7564eb2.jpg

This was cooked in 2 batches to avoid overloading the wok & combined at the end:
IMG_4346_zps9c5c7308.jpg

IMG_4348_zps65c86666.jpg

IMG_4349_zpsc248a944.jpg

To shut it down & save an unused lump, I put the cooker into the XL BGE and close it up.
IMG_4340_zps35aa1ce6.jpg

The cooker has worked out great so far, especially for some mid-week quick cooks.

Thx for looking!

Great work John...with your skills and taste you are going to have a heap of success with that!:clap2:

That looks like a great piece of kit for cooking but not heating up the kitchen, especially in the summer time (not to mention all the smoke and smells that go along with it)!

Thanks for sharing this in detail! Drooling over the meat shot

I saw that on the wokshop.com website and it looked very interesting. Thanks for the report. I need many more BTUs than I can get on my LP kitchen range top.

Tane has suggested a 32,000 BTU portable wok burner that they carry, but that looks very good too.

That is cool! I gave up using the wok on my glass top electric stove. Tried the side burner on my gasser, but still not enough heat. That cooker would do wonderfully. I will have to keep my eyes open for one.

Thanks for sharing.....

Interesting cooking device for the hotter days when we move to our outside kitchen.

I have had my Tao for about 2 years and am eggstaticly happy with it. As you have found out they are great for steaks also. Next up tandoori chicken.

Great work John...with your skills and taste you are going to have a heap of success with that!:clap2:

If I had your skills and knowledge of Asian cooking I'd be cooking on this thing like crazy.

I saw that on the wokshop.com website and it looked very interesting. Thanks for the report. I need many more BTUs than I can get on my LP kitchen range top.

Tane has suggested a 32,000 BTU portable wok burner that they carry, but that looks very good too.

I never noticed the cooker on wokshop.com but I make occasional trips over to S.F. Chinatown to shop in person so I haven't looked too closely at their website.

That is cool! I gave up using the wok on my glass top electric stove. Tried the side burner on my gasser, but still not enough heat. That cooker would do wonderfully. I will have to keep my eyes open for one.

I tried one wok cook on my Weber Summit side burner (only 12,000 BTUs) and it fell way short of the heat I needed.

I have had my Tao for about 2 years and am eggstaticly happy with it. As you have found out they are great for steaks also. Next up tandoori chicken.

Thanks again for the inspiration on the cooker Richard!

Very cool! Where did you find it, and can I ask how much it was?

I picked it up in person at The Wok Shop (wokshop.com) but this looks like the same cooker for only $30 (before shipping): http://www.templeofthai.com/cookware/thai-bbq-stove-6200000562.php

Woodmonkey told me about this place which has other similar cookers: http://importfood.com/dao_cooker.html

Man you guys are costing me some bucks..... Now I have to have one of those..... Couldnt you just use one of those kid sized eggs?

That thing is awesome, the food looks like it came out great. Great photo's too...as usual. :thumb:

Man you guys are costing me some bucks..... Now I have to have one of those..... Couldnt you just use one of those kid sized eggs?

I have been using my Mini Egg with a wok but the dome will get in the way of larger woks. A 10" or 12" fits fine on the Mini, maybe up to a 14" (which I don't have). The Thai cooker works great with my 16" wok on less than 1/2 of a Weber chimney of lump (about the same as what I'd burn in the Mini Egg). For larger wok cooks, this is more efficient on lump than loading up my Small or Large BGE.

Back